Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

150k Prado Service Interval - What sort of Costs would one expect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 150k Prado Service Interval - What sort of Costs would one expect?

Hey Guys.... This is me being a little be curious here, but on a recent conversation with a mate who's cousin had recently had their 150's Prado (Kakadu) in for it's 150k service. He was telling me the bill that they got hit with..... Apparently, they had the Timing Belt and Fuel Pump replaced as per the owners Service Manual & what ever else is done at that Service interval. The Bill they got hit with at the end of the day was - $4300.

My question to those that have past this 150k mark on their Prado's - What should one expect to pay for this Service ?? $4300 seems very excessive to me....

rob
    [I]cheers..... Rob (macca)[/I]
    [I][B][COLOR=DarkRed]Car-4: 1996 Defender Tdi [/COLOR][/B][/I]
    [I][B][COLOR=Blue]Car-3: 1996 Discovery Tdi Auto[/COLOR][/B][/I]
    [B][I][COLOR=Green]Car-2: 1993 Suzuki Vitara 4Dr (modified for Playing) [/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000]Now Retired[/COLOR][COLOR=Green] [/COLOR][/I][/B]
    [B][I][COLOR=DarkOrchid]Car-1: 2010 Toyota Prado 150's (Missus Car/current touring vehicle)[/COLOR][/I][/B]

Originally posted by rob_macca67 View Post
    Hey Guys.... This is me being a little be curious here, but on a recent conversation with a mate who's cousin had recently had their 150's Prado (Kakadu) in for it's 150k service. He was telling me the bill that they got hit with..... Apparently, they had the Timing Belt and Fuel Pump replaced as per the owners Service Manual & what ever else is done at that Service interval. The Bill they got hit with at the end of the day was - $4300.

My question to those that have past this 150k mark on their Prado's - What should one expect to pay for this Service ?? $4300 seems very excessive to me....

rob
    Diesel or petrol?
    Assuming diesel, $500-$700 the only extra that's a bit more than usual is t-belt.
    If the pulley or tensioner needs replacing it can be about $100ea extra.

Fuel pumps don't replaced at service, that must have been faulty & was replaced as a repair.

Comment

Originally posted by Anth120playdo View Post
      Diesel or petrol?
      Assuming diesel, $500-$700 the only extra that's a bit more than usual is t-belt.
      If the pulley or tensioner needs replacing it can be about $100ea extra.

Fuel pumps don't replaced at service, that must have been faulty & was replaced as a repair.
      Thanks Anthony, but if u go by the Toyota Maintenance schedule that comes with your owners manual, it indicates that at the 150k mark, that the fuel pump is to be replaced. I'm assuming that Toyota just follow what is recommended and just change the pump even though it probably doesn't need replacing.....

To me, if the pump is working fine, why replace it? But why would Toyota say to replace it if its not really required?

BTW: its a diesel.....
      [B][I][COLOR=Green]Car-2: 1993 Suzuki Vitara 4Dr (modified for Playing) [/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000]Now Retired[/COLOR][COLOR=Green] [/COLOR][/I][/B]
      [B][I][COLOR=DarkOrchid]Car-1: 2010 Toyota Prado 150's (Missus Car/current touring vehicle)[/COLOR][/I][/B]

Comment

Thanks Anthony, but if u go by the Toyota Maintenance schedule that comes with your owners manual, it indicates that at the 150k mark, that the fuel pump is to be replaced. I'm assuming that Toyota just follow what is recommended and just change the pump even though it probably doesn't need replacing.....

To me, if the pump is working fine, why replace it? But why would Toyota say to replace it if its not really required?

BTW: its a diesel.....
        Ok, I have not done a 150 on a 150, but that's sounds pretty silly, you guys need to start asking Toyota about that.
        Might get some funny answers, lets see hey.
        It's news to me, still sounds silly.

Edit: Right, I just checked, yes they do say replace fuel pump, in sub tank assy.
        Not the supply pump, still a big bill, not sure I'd bother replacing it, lets get a part cost

Edit: whole service $1200-1600 if you get them to do the fuel pump. 5 hr service.
        Some dealers will think its the supply pump, lol...... I hope that didnt apen to your mates Cus.
        Anth120playdo
        Banned
        Last edited by Anth120playdo; 22-08-2015, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Transfer pump is worth about $250, by anychance did the do an egr and injector clean?

Comment

Ok, I have not done a 150 on a 150, but that's sounds pretty silly, you guys need to start asking Toyota about that.
            Might get some funny answers, lets see hey.
            It's news to me, still sounds silly.

Edit: Right, I just checked, yes they do say replace fuel pump, in sub tank assy.
            Not the supply pump, still a big bill, not sure I'd bother replacing it, lets get a part cost

Edit: whole service $1200-1600 if you get them to do the fuel pump. 5 hr service.
            Some dealers will think its the supply pump, lol...... I hope that didnt apen to your mates Cus.
            Cheers for that Anthony.... The whole reason for asking about this is the bagging my cousin gives me about owning a "diesel" 150's and the potential risks associated with it. He works in a part of the industry where he see's and hear's all the "bad" stuff that can go wrong with CRD vehicles of various makes. He will not own a CRD diesel for this reason due to the sort of potential cost blow-out "if"anything should go wrong. He says the fuel cost difference between Petrol & Diesel is minor when u look at the big picture of the overall costs of owning a modern CRD these days....

Is he right ??? I don't know, but with some of the stories he tells me that he hears from his customers, u gotta wonder.....

Originally posted by leethal1 View Post
            Transfer pump is worth about $250, by anychance did the do an egr and injector clean?
            I have no idea what else was done, but he did say that after they got the vehicle back, that the waterpump was leaking & that will cost them extra to fix even though it wasn't leaking b4 hand !!!! You got to wonder which dealership it is and what the hell are they doing to this poor person.....

Comment

Cheers for that Anthony.... The whole reason for asking about this is the bagging my cousin gives me about owning a "diesel" 150's and the potential risks associated with it. He works in a part of the industry where he see's and hear's all the "bad" stuff that can go wrong with CRD vehicles of various makes. He will not own a CRD diesel for this reason due to the sort of potential cost blow-out "if"anything should go wrong. He says the fuel cost difference between Petrol & Diesel is minor when u look at the big picture of the overall costs of owning a modern CRD these days....

Is he right ??? I don't know, but with some of the stories he tells me that he hears from his customers, u gotta wonder.....

I have no idea what else was done, but he did say that after they got the vehicle back, that the waterpump was leaking & that will cost them extra to fix even though it wasn't leaking b4 hand !!!! You got to wonder which dealership it is and what the hell are they doing to this poor person.....

There's some truth to it, that's why I'm working to reduce the risks, we have already covered it, but I will repeat, because it needs to be shared:

Minimise or remove the soot
              http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/EGR-Blank...-/191661329341 (stage 2 is coming :-)),
              oil changes every 5000,
              diagnostic every 10,000k, especially after 40,000k,
              Replace Injectors at 120k, if they make it.
              No big deal!

Still cheper to run than petrol. I don't see a lot of petrols, but when they come in & I ask about fuel economy, most are not happy.
              They can get a nice run on the hwy. on the tracks I see petrols using about double of the diesels.
              So it depends what you do, now like usual Theres plenty of peeps here on pp who get unbelievable economy.

When you work on one of these, it's virtually impossible to make a water pump leak, things do happen by coinsedence sometimes.

Comment

When have Toyota ever replaced anything that didn't actually need replacing? Other than when they start fishing to try and identify faults and usually get this wrong and you pay for unnecessary replacements and go home still with the problem. I mean years ago they would replace your wiper blades. Now it's only if the customer asks. Today it's all about getting the cars in and out as quickly as possible. Quick oil and filter change, dab on some grease and out you go. They don't even rotate tyres or check air pressures. When I was in Kalgoorlie they spent more time washing the car than anything else. No attention to detail hence you had to check all the sump plugs and make sure they had put the oil in.
                Dave
                Views expressed are mine alone and are not intended to compromise the integrity of my employer nor offend those who may read such views.
                Bugger Bali, get out and see Australia before we sell it all to China.

Comment

There's some truth to it, that's why I'm working to reduce the risks, we have already covered it, but I will repeat, because it needs to be shared:

Minimise or remove the soot
                  http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/EGR-Blank...-/191661329341 (stage 2 is coming ),
                  oil changes every 5000,
                  diagnostic every 10,000k, especially after 40,000k,
                  Replace Injectors at 120k, if they make it.
                  No big deal!

Still cheaper to run than petrol. I don't see a lot of petrols, but when they come in & I ask about fuel economy, most are not happy.
                  They can get a nice run on the hwy. on the tracks I see petrols using about double of the diesels.
                  So it depends what you do, now like usual Theres plenty of peeps here on pp who get unbelievable economy.
                  I haven't read much on the blanking plate, but I assume the hole in the plate prevents a fault code from coming up? What is the Stage-2 about ??

I know this is getting side tracked here, but I'm not so sure anymore that a Diesel would be cheaper to run than a Petrol if u are saying to change your oils at 5000kms and injectors at the 120k mark.... The price to have your injectors done is not cheap ( I assume around $2k for parts & Labour??). Oil change 2x as often as the petrol.... Then the price of petrol is usually 10 > 20cents cheaper (where I live at least) on average than Diesel fuel..... I think in the long run when u factor everything in, the "true" difference would be minimal, if anything diesels might be slightly ahead....but as I said, we are getting side tracked here....

The reason I mainly bought the diesel was the fuel range as we like doing remote touring, so I just did what I had done in the past - buy a diesel....

(BTW: what u are saying about changing your oils at 5k mark - I agree with too, maybe no more than 7500kms with good quality oil)

Comment

I haven't read much on the blanking plate, but I assume the hole in the plate prevents a fault code from coming up? What is the Stage-2 about ??

I know this is getting side tracked here, but I'm not so sure anymore that a Diesel would be cheaper to run than a Petrol if u are saying to change your oils at 5000kms and injectors at the 120k mark.... The price to have your injectors done is not cheap ( I assume around $2k for parts & Labour??). Oil change 2x as often as the petrol.... Then the price of petrol is usually 10 > 20cents cheaper (where I live at least) on average than Diesel fuel..... I think in the long run when u factor everything in, the "true" difference would be minimal, if anything diesels might be slightly ahead....but as I said, we are getting side tracked here....

The reason I mainly bought the diesel was the fuel range as we like doing remote touring, so I just did what I had done in the past - buy a diesel....

(BTW: what u are saying about changing your oils at 5k mark - I agree with too, maybe no more than 7500kms with good quality oil)
                    Fuel prices in around Brisbane today

Comment

.... Perfect Timing on your trip into Qld, but this is not usually the norm.... well, not on the northside of Brissie at least.... On avg, diesel is usually dearer....
                      I was over at a friends place on the weekend and noticed at least a 20c different in the price of diesel between the north and south side of brisbane along the roads that I travelled.... It was definitely cheaper on the sth-side at least along the roads that I travelled....

Fuel prices in around Brisbane today

Comment

Some facts mixed with a bit of opinion

We do have to be realistic about these things, I find the same scenario here as Melbourne.
                        A few facts:
                        Diesel price is adjusted less often. Gas is similar.
                        Unleaded is a different kettle of fish.
                        It has a competition cycle which used to run through about a week, & was about 10c a litre.
                        Now over the years the time & cents has increased & now it's over 20c, sometimes closer to 30, who's making some $$$$$$

So what you had till about last Wednesday was you low end of the cycle which is almost 10c a litre under diesel.
                        Remember we are using averages to be fair, not extremes eg; cheapest unleaded in brissy 1.17 & dearest diesel 1.33
                        If we turned it, I could say I saw diesel for 1.23 & petrol 1.49
                        What you have now is the start of the profiteering cycle, diesel about 1.30 & petrol about 1.46.
                        I understand it will be cheaper in 2 weeks or so.
                        However the unleaded average price is above average diesel price, to try save argument call it the same.
                        Yes you could only fill up when it's cheap, but diesel owners can fill when they drive past 1.23 anytime as diesel remains predominantly unchanged.
                        It can be quite a while before it comes down below the diesel price.

Anyway my accurate calculations when I did it months ago, was based in real average economy figures, average fuel prices, average service prices.
                        120 series comparison, It worked out diesel was just under $2.00 per hundred cheaper.
                        Naturally there are variables as it is averages.
                        4x4ing, sand driving, towing & lots of short trips the v6 is further disadvantaged.
                        Usually there's not much in it, but I have seen examples of a 120v6 using double as much fuel as a 1301kd, on a high country 4x4 trip.

If you see 20-30 cents difference, it's not a difference from north & south, it's a delay in some outlets keeping up with the price fixing.

Comment

A couple of things:
                          • Diesel in Benalla has been cheaper than Petrol for about the last 2 months, and before that it was at the same price for about 2 years (while unleaded fluctuated all over the place).
                          • A mate of mine's Old Man (this sounds like a friend of a friend, I know) had a diesel (D4d) 120 that only needed the injectors replaced at the 500,000km service - lucky I guess, but its all about preventative maintenance. And having a decent relationship with your dealer/mechanic. Oh, and get a quote before a service - it may not be 100% accurate depending on what they might find, but it is a bargaining chip.
                          Spilsy
                          Today is the tomorrow you were shitting yourself about yesterday - Billy Thorpe

Comment

Originally posted by Spilsy View Post
                            A couple of things:
                            • Diesel in Benalla has been cheaper than Petrol for about the last 2 months, and before that it was at the same price for about 2 years (while unleaded fluctuated all over the place).
                            • A mate of mine's Old Man (this sounds like a friend of a friend, I know) had a diesel (D4d) 120 that only needed the injectors replaced at the 500,000km service - lucky I guess, but its all about preventative maintenance. And having a decent relationship with your dealer/mechanic. Oh, and get a quote before a service - it may not be 100% accurate depending on what they might find, but it is a bargaining chip.
                            Q. What year was the 500k vehicle?

fact: highway/high Klm's usually lasts longer.

Opinion: I'd bet they were well worn by then, your right you can get lucky, that's what I think T plan on.
                            Another reason why I put a use by date of 5 years/120k, the odds are if they are over 5 years old & only 70-80k they are showing higher wear.

Comment

Q. What year was the 500k vehicle?
                              2008 I think. Don't quote me on that though.
                              Spilsy
                              Today is the tomorrow you were shitting yourself about yesterday - Billy Thorpe

Comment

canli bahis siteleri bahis siteleri ecebet.net
                              mencisport.com
                              antalya escort
                              tsyd.org deneme bonusu veren siteler
                              deneme bonusu veren siteler
                              gaziantep escort
                              gaziantep escort
                              asyabahis maltcasino olabahis olabahis
                              erotik film izle Rus escort gaziantep rus escort
                              atasehir escort tuzla escort
                              sikis sex hatti