Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What vehicle to get for local 4wdriving and bush exploring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What vehicle to get for local 4wdriving and bush exploring?

This is not about getting rid of my Prado or what to get next..... I've currently got a "modified" Suzuki Vitara for my exploring bush Trips and a Navara D22 for driving to/from work + a bit of exploring of SEQ where a bit more distance is required. As the family grows the room for 3 kids in the Zook will become hard and the same goes for the back seat of the D22..... So, I thought while I've got a little bit of time on my side, I'd start looking at what I can or could replace the Navara with in a few years time... (Zook stays as it's too much fun to get rid of just yet.....)

My requirements:

> Engine: Needs to be 4-cyl, preferably a Diesel
    > Good economy with a reasonable range distance
    > Transmission is to be an Auto so the missus can drive if req'd
    > Suspension - ALL Coils with solid front end..... or at least Rear Coils with Coils &/or IFS in the Front (no Torsion Bars)
    > 5 Seater so the family can fit in... if req'd
    > Must be able to tow our 1.8T Caravan
    > Wagon or Ute...... Wagon is perferable but Ute is still an option as long as the back seat has enough room for the growing kids
    > Price under $15/20k would be good
    > Reliability is obviously important
    > Limited to no Electronics to help with self repairs....
    > Parts need to be readily available and a reasonable price.....

After a bit of research and driving in my cousins....and as crazy as it sounds, I'm leaning towards a Landover Discovery TDi300 Auto. From what I've found out, this model seems to be the most reliable with reports of many reaching the half million mark (obviously depends on service history). They seem to be cheap to reasonable in price as well.
    The things that I've found out:

> VERY economical
    > Coils all round with a solid front Diff;
    > 4cyl TD Auto
    > No Electronics except for the AirBag (mechanical injection)
    > Plenty of room for the kids in the back seat
    > Good towing capacity
    > Spare parts are readily available via a few different methods (overseas being one of them instead via the local dealer)

I know there will be plenty that will disagree with what I'm leaning towards, but I'm open to others ideas & suggestions.... (remembering MY List of Requirements)

let the comments flow.....
    [I]cheers..... Rob (macca)[/I]
    [I][B][COLOR=DarkRed]Car-4: 1996 Defender Tdi [/COLOR][/B][/I]
    [I][B][COLOR=Blue]Car-3: 1996 Discovery Tdi Auto[/COLOR][/B][/I]
    [B][I][COLOR=Green]Car-2: 1993 Suzuki Vitara 4Dr (modified for Playing) [/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000]Now Retired[/COLOR][COLOR=Green] [/COLOR][/I][/B]
    [B][I][COLOR=DarkOrchid]Car-1: 2010 Toyota Prado 150's (Missus Car/current touring vehicle)[/COLOR][/I][/B]

Apart from being IFS a 90 series would fit the bill, a well set up 90 will go just about anywhere.

Cheers Andrew
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]So Long and Thanks for all the Fish![/COLOR]

[url=http://www.4wdadventurers.com/showthread.php?3840-AJ-s-120-Prado]MY PRADO AND DIY CAMPER TRAILER[/url]

[url=http://www.4wdadventurers.com/showthread.php?3975-AJ-s-79-series-Cruiser-Ute]MY HZJ79 Landcrusier[/url]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

No Electronics except for the AirBag (mechanical injection

What Disco are you looking at? My bro-in-law had one a couple of years ago and it had electronic traction control and a host of electrical goodies most of which went south at one point in time. Plus, the one day his stock (bald) Michellins with 120,000km on them finally gave up he "discovered" his car never came with a wheel brace.
      Dave
      Views expressed are mine alone and are not intended to compromise the integrity of my employer nor offend those who may read such views.
      Bugger Bali, get out and see Australia before we sell it all to China.

Comment

Sounds like an older Defender would fit your description.
        "Sure it’s quiet, for a diesel, but that’s like being well-behaved… for a murderer."- Jeremy Clarkson

Comment

Yeah, that would be the Discovery-2. That came in around 1999 onwards..... I'm looking at ones b4 that. The ones I'm thinking of stopped being made in 1998/9 (TDI's are a 4cyl 2.5ltr TD & IC whereas the next model TD5 is a 5cyl 2.5ltr TD & IC but full of electronics & full of problems too)

Originally posted by Bushbasher View Post
          No Electronics except for the AirBag (mechanical injection

What Disco are you looking at? My bro-in-law had one a couple of years ago and it had electronic traction control and a host of electrical goodies most of which went south at one point in time. Plus, the one day his stock (bald) Michellins with 120,000km on them finally gave up he "discovered" his car never came with a wheel brace.
          [B][I][COLOR=Green]Car-2: 1993 Suzuki Vitara 4Dr (modified for Playing) [/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000]Now Retired[/COLOR][COLOR=Green] [/COLOR][/I][/B]
          [B][I][COLOR=DarkOrchid]Car-1: 2010 Toyota Prado 150's (Missus Car/current touring vehicle)[/COLOR][/I][/B]

Comment

Originally posted by Peterpilot View Post
            Sounds like an older Defender would fit your description.
            Yeah, had thought about one of those but no auto in them..... The TDi version is a great reliable "truck" apparently...... never thought I'd being that about a landrover...

Comment

Originally posted by AJ120 View Post
              Apart from being IFS a 90 series would fit the bill, a well set up 90 will go just about anywhere.

Cheers Andrew
              Thanks Andrew, that's one to consider.... not sure about the rear seating room for 3 kids though. The seat width too maybe a issue as well....

Comment

G'Day Rob,

A mate of mine had a series 1 Disco and it was a great car, wasnt a rocket, but never really let him down. The only thing to my knowledge that he had to do to it was an injector pump, at some stupid amount of high km's

As an altenative, and yes I know its not a 4 cyl, but what about an 80 series? They fit the bill in every other way, and are well known for reliability. Have no idea on running costs, and maybe thats why you havent gone down that path, but to me it would fit the bill in every other way.
                Wish List: Late 120 series or 150 series V6 preferably manual, the funds to buy said vehicle

Current ride: MY2002 Mits. Pajero V6 manual With a couple of bits and pieces

Comment

Originally posted by bundyk View Post
                  G'Day Rob,
                  As an altenative, and yes I know its not a 4 cyl, but what about an 80 series? They fit the bill in every other way, and are well known for reliability. Have no idea on running costs, and maybe thats why you havent gone down that path, but to me it would fit the bill in every other way.
                  My first thought was 80 series as well - unstoppable but the 6 cyl thing takes it off your list.

I know I am going to get shot for this - but what about a Pootrol? Something like a DX GU III model ('01 to '04 I think??). From what I have read the GU III had much less engine issues than the "Grenades" that were in the GU and the GU II. Good mate of mine has one, no issues that I can recall and he loves it. I am not a fan, but to be honest they really are pretty good for off road work. They have a 4cyl turbo Diesel and the DX variant had very little in the way of electronics. They tow something like 3.2T (allbeit slowly) and offered manual and Auto gearboxes. They have Coils and Live axle front end, spares easily available and surely every second "P" plater can't be wrong! Ticks most of your boxes as another alternative.

Never even been in a Landy so cannot comment, sounds good though.

Good Luck!
                  2012 D4D GXL Auto - Graphite with some TJM enhancement.
                  [URL="http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread.php?27018-Alberto-s-150-Graphite-GXL-D4D"]My Build Up[/URL]

[SIZE=4][/SIZE][COLOR="#800080"][/COLOR][I][/I][B]A Truly Happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery whilst on a detour!!![/B]

Comment

Hey Bundyk....

I previous had a 80's and even though they are a great car, I prefer 4cyl and & Auto & to get a Auto in a 80's u are looking at some big $$$ too

Originally posted by bundyk View Post
                    G'Day Rob,

A mate of mine had a series 1 Disco and it was a great car, wasnt a rocket, but never really let him down. The only thing to my knowledge that he had to do to it was an injector pump, at some stupid amount of high km's

Comment

I've just about every type of 4by. The 80 is a great vehicle (Had 2 of them ) but although a diesel auto is available but are a little rare and yes 6cyl not 4, Most of these now have very high k's and are normally why they are selling them. I have had 2 x td5 disco's, in fact I traded my disco for this current prado. I haven't had a TDI but have heard amazing things about them. Some claim to get over 1000k per tank. Not as powerful as the td5 but as stated don't have all the electrics the td5 has or the problems to go with it. Would I have a tdi? If could get a good example, yep in a heartbeat. The only downside of the series 1 is they are not that big in the cargo area which to some can be an issue. IMO a good tdi if you could find one with service history may just be what you need and they normally are reasonably cheap to purchase. Any normal day I would say you cant go past a Toyota but for your needs and value for money LR. Just remember though if you choose the wrong LR, they can be quite a money pit.

Cheers Steve
                      Steve
                      2000 Grande
                      Toyota Alloy Bar, IPF 900XS, 50 mm Lovell Springs in rear, Safari Snorkel, Kaiser Roofrack, Milford Cargo Barrier, Hercules AT's, Blue tongue compressor, Uniden UHF, Dual Batteries, Home made rear drawers, 45l Waeco with Waeco temp monitor, Side & rear awnings

Comment

Originally posted by Steevo View Post
                        I've just about every type of 4by. The 80 is a great vehicle (Had 2 of them ) but although a diesel auto is available but are a little rare and yes 6cyl not 4, Most of these now have very high k's and are normally why they are selling them. I have had 2 x td5 disco's, in fact I traded my disco for this current prado. I haven't had a TDI but have heard amazing things about them. Some claim to get over 1000k per tank. Not as powerful as the td5 but as stated don't have all the electrics the td5 has or the problems to go with it. Would I have a tdi? If could get a good example, yep in a heartbeat. The only downside of the series 1 is they are not that big in the cargo area which to some can be an issue. IMO a good tdi if you could find one with service history may just be what you need and they normally are reasonably cheap to purchase. Any normal day I would say you cant go past a Toyota but for your needs and value for money LR. Just remember though if you choose the wrong LR, they can be quite a money pit.

Cheers Steve

Thanks Steve..... that's what I've been told as well..... ensure its had a good service history; change fluids regularly and never let it get too hot due to the alloy heads....

Re: Speed - For what I want to use it for it would be ok... u can do the usual mods like exhaust; bigger IC; Injector Pump mods, etc to get a little better performance out of them....

Re: Cargo Space - Yeah I've noticed its limited in size but as I wouldn't be doing long distance or time away, just the odd overnighter or so, I reckon the space should be ok and the odd times the family wants to come camping in it instead of the Prado, then there's the Roofrack or Box Trailer option..... The problem will be finding a "good" one.....

Comment

GU's.... Yes a good tuff vehicle, but the 3ltr in the Patrol I couldn't take the risk + they are full of sensors/electronics, etc

I guess once u did all the mods they suggest, the engine might be reliable, but I think I'll leave the 3ltr GU's alone for the moment

Originally posted by The Alberto View Post
                          My first thought was 80 series as well - unstoppable but the 6 cyl thing takes it off your list.

I know I am going to get shot for this - but what about a Pootrol? Something like a DX GU III model ('01 to '04 I think??). From what I have read the GU III had much less engine issues than the "Grenades" that were in the GU and the GU II. Good mate of mine has one, no issues that I can recall and he loves it. I am not a fan, but to be honest they really are pretty good for off road work. They have a 4cyl turbo Diesel and the DX variant had very little in the way of electronics. They tow something like 3.2T (allbeit slowly) and offered manual and Auto gearboxes. They have Coils and Live axle front end, spares easily available and surely every second "P" plater can't be wrong! Ticks most of your boxes as another alternative.

Never even been in a Landy so cannot comment, sounds good though.

Good Luck!

Comment

Hi Rob yeah thts the hard bit finding a good service history's one. If you are considering one get it checked out by someone who knows LR's as you don't want a costly moneypit. You have to remember they are getting a bit of age behind them now and if I were to get one I would try and get the last of the series 98ish model. Just a thought (I hope I'm allowed to do this) check out AULRO forum for LR's, should find out everything you want about them there. Good luck with whatever you decide mate.

Cheers Steve
                            Steve
                            2000 Grande
                            Toyota Alloy Bar, IPF 900XS, 50 mm Lovell Springs in rear, Safari Snorkel, Kaiser Roofrack, Milford Cargo Barrier, Hercules AT's, Blue tongue compressor, Uniden UHF, Dual Batteries, Home made rear drawers, 45l Waeco with Waeco temp monitor, Side & rear awnings

Comment

Thanks Steve... I've slowly been doing that when time permits.....

I've just measured the inside widths of my cousin's Disco-1. I took 3 measurements:

> Between Front Window to Front Window
                              > Between Front Trim to Front Trim
                              > Between Front Armrest to Front Armrest

I then did the same for the 2nd row of seats as well....

I compared them to our 150's and to my surprise the measurements were pretty much on par with each other (+/-20mm).... The only limiting factor was the cargo area which is definitely smaller in the Disco-1.... For Passengers, they are quite roomy, good visibility all round too.

Rob

Originally posted by Steevo View Post
                              Hi Rob yeah thts the hard bit finding a good service history's one. If you are considering one get it checked out by someone who knows LR's as you don't want a costly moneypit. You have to remember they are getting a bit of age behind them now and if I were to get one I would try and get the last of the series 98ish model. Just a thought (I hope I'm allowed to do this) check out AULRO forum for LR's, should find out everything you want about them there. Good luck with whatever you decide mate.

Cheers Steve

Comment

canli bahis siteleri bahis siteleri ecebet.net
                              mencisport.com
                              antalya escort
                              tsyd.org deneme bonusu veren siteler
                              deneme bonusu veren siteler
                              gaziantep escort
                              gaziantep escort
                              asyabahis maltcasino olabahis olabahis
                              erotik film izle Rus escort gaziantep rus escort
                              atasehir escort tuzla escort
                              sikis sex hatti