Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on a CT Please

Hi All,
    I Have looked at some old threads of towing a camper trailer and would like some more recent real world experience/ advice. Im looking for an aussie built, aussie canvas trailer, 15 to 20k budget (meaning all on road ready to go), for use up in the top end NT and Queensland (Savannah Way trip). It will be towed by my 120 series and something that id like to live in for at least 6 months at a time. Its initially intended for 2 people but will be a long term investment for a growing family. I'm really after something reliable and as 'light' as practicable. I have had my eyes drawn to Johnno's and Challenge trailers with the latter just in front due to being manufactured in Perth (easy to collect from Broome). Soft floor is fine as I have seen the new tents are pretty quick to setup and pack away.

I have limited time to inspect these trailers (Challenge being in SA rules that out) and have recently jumped on My Swag but am eagerly awaiting the confirmation to use the forum. Gumtree, as good as it is, has very vague responses to allot of my questions. As fellow Prado owners, what are your opinions? Are camper trailers really that much better than my usual camping style of turbo tent, portable gas cooker and swags? Do you find them easy to get around in and tow with a 120. And is it something you always hook up now when heading out bush?

As always, we appreciate your comments.

Cheers,
    [B]Prado 120 Series Build; [/B][U][url]http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread.php?24346-Desert-Dueler-120[/url][/U]
    [B]Customline Off Road Deluxe CT Build; [/B][U][url]http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=38826.0[/url][/U]
    [B]WS Tarpon 120 Kayak Build; [/B][U][url]http://www.kfdu.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=40099[/url][/U]

I bought a camper trailer three years ago after many years in a tent. Best thing i've done so far. It's not for everyone, but I find it much faster than people think. On a recent trip, we had the main tent flipped out and ready in the same time people had put their swags (triple pole styles) together and started getting organised. At that time, I swung open the tail gate and was fully set up with plumbed water & kitchen etc. Packing down is fast too. I must say though, that I still do trips with just a swag and gear in the back. It depends on where I'm going and whether SWMBO is coming.

We bought a soft floor - no namer - because it was a bargain I couldn't refuse at the time but I am upgrading soon. For a family, it's great with loads of room. However, my next trailer will likely be a hard floor because my boys are much older now and bring their swags and sleep outside, I like the hardfloors better. If there's only two people travelling, then my advice would be to go with a hardfloor, but it's personal preference really.

You haven't said whether you are set on buying new or second hand. If you go second hand, you can get some good older Kimberley Kamper models around your $$ range. They can be a tad heavy though shouldn't be a problem with the D4D. The Cubs are lighter and are also a hard floor model. If you're set on soft-floor, then there are quite a few good brands getting around and MySwag will provide heaps of info on these. I think the complete campsites are a very good soft-floor build, and I think you get way more for your $$ on these than the Challenge campers (which I think are grossly overpriced). Just my opinion though.

Have fun choosing!
    Diesel Prado with various things...

Comment

Last year we dragged a 12ft Customline camper around Australia and I would take the same trailer again without hesitation. It's been modded a bit to have everything that we needed (electrics, sand mat for awning, marine carpet inside, electric pumped tap, etc...). I particularly like the smaller size of it as we were able to take it places that a larger camper e.g. Lifestyle (and my Prado 95) may have struggled a bit more. For the next trip I will upgrade the stone guard though - probably get a Stonestomper.

I would add that we had a toddler with us and that for a couple of weeks we were trying to cover some distance so were packing up & setting up everyday which was hard on my son (and us) - for this type of fast travel a hardfloor would have been easier due to the faster setup and packing up. If we did a full setup with awning out and kitchen unpacked, we were looking at about 2-2.5 hrs packing and unpacking. Without the awning and kitchen out, we could do it in 30-60 minutes. I imagine a hardfloor would take about half that time again, but we would have sacrificed a lot of packing space and this was our home for best part of the year (so we had lots of gear).
      95 3.0 Camp Car, 150 V6 Daily Driver[SIZE=4]
      [/SIZE]

Comment

Jonnos looked like a good trailer & quick & easy to set up ( like many).
        Not sure which model & what suspension, but what I did not like about them was the "standard" spring hangers on the leaf sprung model.
        I have seen this type of hanger break away from many standard trailers on blacktop, I certainly wouldn't take it on corrugations.
        It was very disappointing & what caused me to go elsewhere. Just couldn't get past it.
        I was going to go for the lower spec models & customise it.
        One thing I would choose if I did it all again is "ALKO" leaf spring with the BIG CHUNKY spring hangers. Solid axle. Reliable & tough.
        if they build you one with ALKO I'd say go for it! 12-16k worth is good.

All this, but have not heard about any issues with them.

Comment

Originally posted by fridayman View Post
          Last year we dragged a 12ft Customline camper around Australia and I would take the same trailer again without hesitation. It's been modded a bit to have everything that we needed (electrics, sand mat for awning, marine carpet inside, electric pumped tap, etc...). I particularly like the smaller size of it as we were able to take it places that a larger camper e.g. Lifestyle (and my Prado 95) may have struggled a bit more. For the next trip I will upgrade the stone guard though - probably get a Stonestomper.

I would add that we had a toddler with us and that for a couple of weeks we were trying to cover some distance so were packing up & setting up everyday which was hard on my son (and us) - for this type of fast travel a hardfloor would have been easier due to the faster setup and packing up. If we did a full setup with awning out and kitchen unpacked, we were looking at about 2-2.5 hrs packing and unpacking. Without the awning and kitchen out, we could do it in 30-60 minutes. I imagine a hardfloor would take about half that time again, but we would have sacrificed a lot of packing space and this was our home for best part of the year (so we had lots of gear).
          I never even had Customline on my radar! Thanks for the info, adds another choice to the list and im very surprised by how its around 4k cheaper to buy one of these units than the others. Ill have to look into them more to see why I guess. Are these trailers Australian made? Any damage from your big trip at all? I just cant get over the price and what you can get for their Adventure Walkup model???? Seems nice on face value.

Thanks for everyone's opinions so far. Tough decision this!

Cheers,

EDIT: just had a look at the specs, the trailer and chassis are not galved, but is an option. Can do the whole trailer or just the chassis. With the trailer galved, a few extras on the tent and a 12v system it comes up to 20k and that's not with freight to Perth and licensing etc. Brings Johnnos back into contention again.
          Dueler120
          Last edited by Dueler120; 26-06-2014, 11:42 AM.
          [B]Prado 120 Series Build; [/B][U][url]http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread.php?24346-Desert-Dueler-120[/url][/U]
          [B]Customline Off Road Deluxe CT Build; [/B][U][url]http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=38826.0[/url][/U]
          [B]WS Tarpon 120 Kayak Build; [/B][U][url]http://www.kfdu.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=40099[/url][/U]

Comment

Hi
            I have been doing a bit of research into this level of camper as well and it seems like GIC are not too bad as well and they have a few levels as well as the ability to retro fit other options as your needs grow.

regards

Michael A

Comment

Originally posted by allenz-1203 View Post
              Hi
              I have been doing a bit of research into this level of camper as well and it seems like GIC are not too bad as well and they have a few levels as well as the ability to retro fit other options as your needs grow.

regards

Michael A
              I thought that GIC were Chinese steel & Chinese Canvas and assembled in Australia. I am not an expert on GIC though.. You are not allowed to speak about them on Myswag as there were too many people telling horror stories about GIC, that GIC threatened legal action against the admins of the site! That alone would put me off them forever!

I own a Challenge Offroad Deluxe. They are well built with great after sales support.I have a 14.6 foot tent and 8 foot annexe, which is good for our family, as I generally camp in one spot for 2 - 5 days and have 3 kids. If i was doing a lot of overnighters, then the larger tent would be annoying as it is a lot of canvas to fold & unfold every day, so consider the type of travelling you do.

The cheapest models of the Challenge range use a Chinese Canvas tent from my understanding. They did this so they could compete with MDC & GIC and everyother cheap imported camper...

There are regularly Challenge Campers that pop up on Gumtree in Perth. I am not sure if there is a local agent (re-seller) in Perth, or if these people are buying them direct from Challenge, using them for a few trips and then selling them.

The 2nd hand market is very attractive.

For 15 - 20K, you will get a very nice Australian Made/Built tough, rugged and reliable camper.

Good luck.

Comment

Not sure if this would suit for a growing family, but have you checked this out. Its basically an RTT on a 6x4 off-road trailer and caught my eye

$20,490 fully kitted, aussie built and made in Gloucester, NSW

http://www.drifta.com.au/offroad-tourer/
                http://www.drifta.com.au/wp-content/...Spec-sheet.pdf

Probably a bit small for a growing family, but I am tempted when the kids are older. They could go in swags, or my small 2 man hiking tent, or even carry our current Oztent as well.
                [SIZE=2]120 GXL D4D Auto, with a 'List of Wants' greater than the 'List of Needs' greater than the 'List of Haves'
                Nissan Patrol: Keeping Bogan's out of Toyota's since 1951[/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by allenz-1203 View Post
                  Hi

regards

Michael A
                  If I were looking at buying a GIC trailer I would first get it weighed, then check the price of scrap metal and from that work out what its worth, because scrap is about all they would be good for. I know a guy who bought one it started falling apart 10k down the first dirt road.

I tow my camper trailer everywhere and pretty much anywhere, I reckon we've clocked up well over 100,000k towing it around Australia and I love it. Particularly in outback regions towing is no big deal at all, so long as the trailer is up to the job.

You really need to decide first hard floor or soft floor. Hard floor is general quicker to set up, and more suited to uneven ground, but has less space, often heavier and usually more expensive. Which ever way you go I reckon set up and pack times are super important, check out how many poles are needed for set up, I can do a minimal setup with my soft floor camper with as little as folding it out and doing up 2 wing nuts. Ask any of the guys at the 2011 GTG that were at LCMP with us, we were fully set up before some guys with swags even had them untied and off the roof rack!

Suspension types, leaf spring and solid axle is a good honest reliable set up, just make sure it has eye to eye springs and not slippers, most of the better ones do anyway. Independent coil will give a better ride, is also pretty reliable but is generally more expensive. Personally my next camper which I am in the design process of will have independent airbag at this stage, big $$ but adjustable rid height and levelling ability make it a great option, but it is rarely offered.

If I were in the market for an off road soft floor trailer I would probably look at Camerons first http://www.cameroncampers.com.au/ If I were looking at a hard floor the Cub or Aussie swag would be high on my list.

There are really so many options the mind boggles when it comes to campers, best of luck sorting through it all to work out what's best for you.

Cheers Andrew
                  [COLOR="#FF0000"]So Long and Thanks for all the Fish![/COLOR]

[url=http://www.4wdadventurers.com/showthread.php?3840-AJ-s-120-Prado]MY PRADO AND DIY CAMPER TRAILER[/url]

[url=http://www.4wdadventurers.com/showthread.php?3975-AJ-s-79-series-Cruiser-Ute]MY HZJ79 Landcrusier[/url]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Just wondering how do you guys find towing a CT in general? I mean it on some tough 4wd climbs, tight turns etc. All good on the road and a dirt track but how easy is it to reverse, turn, etc with a CT? Do you take the CT on longer/straight forward tracks and shorter thougher stuff, just use a tent?

Do you guys leave the CT at a camp and go for a drive? Is it safe without getting stuff stolen?

Interested in opinions

Comment

Don't believe everything you hear about GIC. I have an off road version I purchased new in 2011 and have been to Fraser Island, Birdsville and Oodnadatta Tracks including out to Lake Eyre. Out through Fine and across the Simpson into Birdsville all to and from Sydney with no mechanical issues. Quality can be hit and miss though.

Also consider Follow Me Campers who are based in WA. George is a active member of myswag. Track about is another quality CT but based in Qld.

http://www.followmecampers.com.au/

Comment

Originally posted by pjorek View Post
                        Just wondering how do you guys find towing a CT in general? I mean it on some tough 4wd climbs, tight turns etc. All good on the road and a dirt track but how easy is it to reverse, turn, etc with a CT? Do you take the CT on longer/straight forward tracks and shorter thougher stuff, just use a tent?

Do you guys leave the CT at a camp and go for a drive? Is it safe without getting stuff stolen?

Interested in opinions
                        Obviously there are limits to where you can tow, but I've taken mine on some "interesting" tracks, got into a few tight spots that needed some deft manoeuvring to turn around, Almost ready to drop into the Pascoe river on Frenchman's up the cape comes to mind, as the river crossing was impassable we had to turn around. In hindsight we should have stopped a few hundred metres back where there was plenty of room but we didn't, it took some careful manouvering but we got around. Mind you if you saw some of the places people expect me to get a Semi or B double into then this is easy by comparison.

I've towed my trailer the full length of the tele track up the Cape, over the big Dunes on the Border Track that a lot of people not towing struggle with, I've taken it through some pretty steep tracks in the High country and the Pyrenees.

I only tow it though when we are transiting from camp to camp, in the high country for example when we've been; we will tow it to camp then day trip out for a few days before moving on again.

Hers a tough little spot we took the trailer through, Palm Creek for those familiar with it.

And when the corners get to tight to get around.

It certainly can add a difficulty factor, but often it can also add to the adventure.

Cheers Andrew
                        [COLOR="#FF0000"]So Long and Thanks for all the Fish![/COLOR]

[url=http://www.4wdadventurers.com/showthread.php?3840-AJ-s-120-Prado]MY PRADO AND DIY CAMPER TRAILER[/url]

[url=http://www.4wdadventurers.com/showthread.php?3975-AJ-s-79-series-Cruiser-Ute]MY HZJ79 Landcrusier[/url]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Mine has been to some tough places including Cape York, Michelle Plateau, through and across the red center half a dozen times including Sandy Blight, Connie Sue. Did the Googs track in 2012 solo. Israelite Bay, Tanami, and a bit of the Canning as well. Mine only has heavy duty leaf springs so you don't necessarily need fancy independent suspension. Just don't overload the cheaper trailers or you'll be leaving them behind on some lonely outback track.
                          Dave
                          Views expressed are mine alone and are not intended to compromise the integrity of my employer nor offend those who may read such views.
                          Bugger Bali, get out and see Australia before we sell it all to China.

Comment

i did a lot of research a while back with good quality S/H campers

if your after a soft floor have a look at Complete Campsite campers, they are very well thought out after 2005 they come with a walk up end

we drove to NSW to look at a cheap one ( $10,000 on Gumtree and on the way found a Campomatic converter for $12K ( not many of these around), looked at it, went to look at the other one and offered $10K brought the first one

still would like the Complete campsite ( we were very taken with the new one but $48K slowed my enthusiasm), but they did take 20min to put up

Aussie Swag, Pioneer, Kimberly, cub drover,

i timed a set up the other week, 1m 25sec till i could jump into bed for a quick stop, 5m 20sec to pack it up with the awning up

as with all purchases, you will want to customise it so have a good s/h one lets you do more and loose less when you've had enough

my 10c worth anyway
                            2008 Dune D4D manual GXL update - with lots of fruit !! + Roma Razorback Off Road Van

Comment

We bought a new Cavalier trailer about 3 years ago. It has been very reliable and plenty of room even though rather basic. It has a Drifta kitchen setup, 9ft tent and annexe. We have done a number of trips including the Canning last year. It has been totally trouble free with no other major problems. The only issue we have had is water getting in through the stitching in the floor, however this has been exacerbated somewhat by putting a tarp under the tent but having it protruding out the sides. This actually catches the rain and channels it under the tent resulting in pockets of water seeping in. I think Cavalier has now been taken over by Challenge so I expect that they would be equally well built. We paid just over $16k new which was dear compared to the imports but the reputation of the Cavalier was the reason for choosing it.

Neil
                              2018 GXL D4D auto, ARB bar, dual batteries, BFG A/T's, Dobinson/Bilstein suspension

Comment

canli bahis siteleri bahis siteleri ecebet.net
                              mencisport.com
                              antalya escort
                              tsyd.org deneme bonusu veren siteler
                              deneme bonusu veren siteler
                              gaziantep escort
                              gaziantep escort
                              asyabahis maltcasino olabahis olabahis
                              erotik film izle Rus escort gaziantep rus escort
                              atasehir escort tuzla escort
                              sikis sex hatti