A Modicum of Modifications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Modicum of Modifications

A Modicum of Modifications - how much do you need and how much can you afford?

I find it interesting to see what others do and have done to their vehicles in pursuing the ideal for their preferred mode of four-wheel driving.

My (ex) next-door neighbour runs a small business of four-wheel drive touring so he mixes things up so that his turbo-diesel Prado has a factory bull bar, minor suspension lift, all-terrain tyres and the hard cover for the spare wheel. His priority is weight carrying with extra passengers rather than bouncing over rock ledges in the local forests.

Another mate has his 100 series Landcruiser set up with highway terrain tyres, but with Polyair bags on the rear suspension with a Hayman-Reese weight-equalising hitch for his caravan. He goes either to Queensland for the winter or out to Wyangala Dam for Christmas. No rock-hopping for him either.

Another case – an old school friend who has a 2001 turbo-diesel Prado that he has had from new. He is the one who does the most long distance touring on unsealed roads, mainly central Australia and the Flinders, but also western NSW. What modifications? None.

At the most he would have replaced the tyres with all-terrains. So no bull bar, no driving lights, no winch, no suspension modifications, no UHF or HF radio. He carries a basic recovery kit: puncture repair kit, snatch strap, bow shackles, tow rope and shovel. As he drives no faster than 90km/h anywhere (he is painful to follow in the expressway), and he does not drive at dusk, dawn or at night, he reckons that a bull bar for him would be nothing more than an expensive clothes line.

He is a professional landscape photographer so the times that animal-strike is most likely is also the time that he has already arrived at his next photo opportunity. These are rarely serendipitous as he is usually returning to known places where he will camp overnight. No need for a roof rack or roof-top tent either – he sleeps in the vehicle.

It has been interesting to read the rig build up forum and to note the signature files that different forum members have. There seems to be a range of priorities operating here – some more testosterone-fuelled than others.

I actually sat down and did a bit of a rundown of modifications that could be useful and came up with a total well past $11,000. So I took a step back to consider my alternatives. The first thing you really have to consider is what you intend to do with your vehicle.

I bought my Prado last year to replace my Kluger as a more effective tow vehicle for my small pop-top caravan. However, I also have an opportunity to join my brother and some old school mates (we’re all old farts either near 60 or beyond) in a Simpson Desert crossing later this year.

I have no intention of joining the rock-hoppers in the local 4WD club as, like many old-farts, I like to minimise scratches and dents – some of you may remember Kingswood Country – that was like my father, and the apple did not fall far from the tree.

Long-distance touring with the caravan will need to be mainly confined to bitumen roads – it’s a pretty old van and definitely not meant for off-roading. However, my wife and I do intend to leave the caravan parked in a suitable van park while we go off exploring. The types of roads and tracks we choose will be based on the decision of whether we really need to get there at risk to our vehicle, and whether there is an alternative route, including “chicken” tracks. The Gunshot Bypass is a classic example of the choice we would be likely to make.

So, here is my list of priorities:
    1. Dual battery system plus connection to caravan battery, i.e. a triple system. Completed.
    2. Highway terrain tyres replaced with all terrains. Completed. $1000
    3. UHF radio, mainly for the Boyzone Adventure to the Simpson Desert in September this year. At this stage the radio has been installed but I have removed the aerial and have it turned off – the local chit-chat is pretty puerile and often downright offensive. Completed. $500
    4. Electric brake controller for the van. I’m using a Tekonsha Prodigy which can be removed when not needed. Completed. $300
    5. Comprehensive first aid kit, current Senior First Aid certificate to be updated to Remote Area First Aid certificate. $300
    6. Cargo barrier - completed. $550
    7. Fire extinguisher – got one in the caravan (too small – to be replaced) and have fitted one in car near door under rear seat (2nd row).
    8. Car fridge – 40L Engel preferred. Haven’t decided about a fridge slide but probable if I put a shelf into the back. I will be using plastic tubs I can take to where I need them rather than a drawer system. $1200-$1500
    9. Polyair spring assist airbags to help manage the load in the rear especially when also towing the van. Pending. $500
    10. Polaris (or similar) DVD/GPS unit with Navteq and OziExplorer software installed, plus reverse camera on both car and van. Pending. $1500
    11. Water tank to fit either between cargo barrier and second-row seats or behind cargo barrier for Simpson Crossing. Possible. $400
    12. Bull bar – would look better than the currently fitted nerf bar. Possible. Cost?

My total still comes to about $6000 – a bit of a challenge on a superannuation pension, but I’ll get there eventually.

Some minor modifications already done include sand/mud mats, rubber mat in luggage compartment, Bosch Aerotwin wipers, protector plate between plastic front bumper and front protector plate, rated tow hooks at front and hitch receiver recovery point at rear, Hilux washer jets, seat covers and bug screening of turbo intercooler.

Sand flag will come before Simpson trip, but I’ll have to work out a mounting system other than drill a hole in the plastic bumper. Finally, I’ll have the belts and hoses replaced before the Simpson trip and keep the old ones as spares.

In honour of Kingswood Country I will also keep the engine bay clean and wash underneath.

Other thoughts?
    2006 GXL Turbo Diesel. Only mods- dual battery setup, Hilux washer jets, Bosch Aerotwin wipers and UHF radio.
    [url=http://www.fuelly.com/driver/jimoctec/prado][img]http://www.fuelly.com/smallsig-metric/56619.png[/img][/url]

Re: A Modicum of Modifications

Originally posted by jimoctec
    A Modicum of Modifications - how much do you need and how much can you afford?

I find it interesting to see what others do and have done to their vehicles in pursuing the ideal for their preferred mode of four-wheel driving.

My (ex) next-door neighbour runs a small business of four-wheel drive touring so he mixes things up so that his turbo-diesel Prado has a factory bull bar, minor suspension lift, all-terrain tyres and the hard cover for the spare wheel. His priority is weight carrying with extra passengers rather than bouncing over rock ledges in the local forests.

Another mate has his 100 series Landcruiser set up with highway terrain tyres, but with Polyair bags on the rear suspension with a Hayman-Reese weight-equalising hitch for his caravan. He goes either to Queensland for the winter or out to Wyangala Dam for Christmas. No rock-hopping for him either.

Another case – an old school friend who has a 2001 turbo-diesel Prado that he has had from new. He is the one who does the most long distance touring on unsealed roads, mainly central Australia and the Flinders, but also western NSW. What modifications? None.

At the most he would have replaced the tyres with all-terrains. So no bull bar, no driving lights, no winch, no suspension modifications, no UHF or HF radio. He carries a basic recovery kit: puncture repair kit, snatch strap, bow shackles, tow rope and shovel. As he drives no faster than 90km/h anywhere (he is painful to follow in the expressway), and he does not drive at dusk, dawn or at night, he reckons that a bull bar for him would be nothing more than an expensive clothes line.

He is a professional landscape photographer so the times that animal-strike is most likely is also the time that he has already arrived at his next photo opportunity. These are rarely serendipitous as he is usually returning to known places where he will camp overnight. No need for a roof rack or roof-top tent either – he sleeps in the vehicle.

It has been interesting to read the rig build up forum and to note the signature files that different forum members have. There seems to be a range of priorities operating here – some more testosterone-fuelled than others.

I actually sat down and did a bit of a rundown of modifications that could be useful and came up with a total well past $11,000. So I took a step back to consider my alternatives. The first thing you really have to consider is what you intend to do with your vehicle.

I bought my Prado last year to replace my Kluger as a more effective tow vehicle for my small pop-top caravan. However, I also have an opportunity to join my brother and some old school mates (we’re all old farts either near 60 or beyond) in a Simpson Desert crossing later this year.

I have no intention of joining the rock-hoppers in the local 4WD club as, like many old-farts, I like to minimise scratches and dents – some of you may remember Kingswood Country – that was like my father, and the apple did not fall far from the tree.

Long-distance touring with the caravan will need to be mainly confined to bitumen roads – it’s a pretty old van and definitely not meant for off-roading. However, my wife and I do intend to leave the caravan parked in a suitable van park while we go off exploring. The types of roads and tracks we choose will be based on the decision of whether we really need to get there at risk to our vehicle, and whether there is an alternative route, including “chicken” tracks. The Gunshot Bypass is a classic example of the choice we would be likely to make.

So, here is my list of priorities:
    1. Dual battery system plus connection to caravan battery, i.e. a triple system. Completed.
    2. Highway terrain tyres replaced with all terrains. Completed. $1000
    3. UHF radio, mainly for the Boyzone Adventure to the Simpson Desert in September this year. At this stage the radio has been installed but I have removed the aerial and have it turned off – the local chit-chat is pretty puerile and often downright offensive. Completed. $500
    4. Electric brake controller for the van. I’m using a Tekonsha Prodigy which can be removed when not needed. Completed. $300
    5. Comprehensive first aid kit, current Senior First Aid certificate to be updated to Remote Area First Aid certificate. $300
    6. Cargo barrier - completed. $550
    7. Fire extinguisher – got one in the caravan (too small – to be replaced) and have fitted one in car near door under rear seat (2nd row).
    8. Car fridge – 40L Engel preferred. Haven’t decided about a fridge slide but probable if I put a shelf into the back. I will be using plastic tubs I can take to where I need them rather than a drawer system. $1200-$1500
    9. Polyair spring assist airbags to help manage the load in the rear especially when also towing the van. Pending. $500
    10. Polaris (or similar) DVD/GPS unit with Navteq and OziExplorer software installed, plus reverse camera on both car and van. Pending. $1500
    11. Water tank to fit either between cargo barrier and second-row seats or behind cargo barrier for Simpson Crossing. Possible. $400
    12. Bull bar – would look better than the currently fitted nerf bar. Possible. Cost?

My total still comes to about $6000 – a bit of a challenge on a superannuation pension, but I’ll get there eventually.

Some minor modifications already done include sand/mud mats, rubber mat in luggage compartment, Bosch Aerotwin wipers, protector plate between plastic front bumper and front protector plate, rated tow hooks at front and hitch receiver recovery point at rear, Hilux washer jets, seat covers and bug screening of turbo intercooler.

Sand flag will come before Simpson trip, but I’ll have to work out a mounting system other than drill a hole in the plastic bumper. Finally, I’ll have the belts and hoses replaced before the Simpson trip and keep the old ones as spares.

In honour of Kingswood Country I will also keep the engine bay clean and wash underneath.

Other thoughts?

G'Day,
    It looks like you have everything covered for your vehicle to be set up the way that you want it to be. But that's the point, horses for courses. Some want rock climbers, some just want tow vehicles etc...
    Hope you enjoy your Simpson trip, I am planning to do it next year with a bit of luck.
    He Who Laughs Last...........Didn't Get It

Comment

For the GPS, you could get the Dig Options TP09X1 for ~$500.
      As for the sand flag, if you have roof rails, you should be able to find a way to secure it to that rather than drilling into the plastic bumper. You will notice that the roof rails have a channel, so you can insert a square nut into the channel and make a bracket to suit the sand flag.

BTW, a very well written post.

Comment

Looks like you will have an excellent touring rig with the additions fitted and planned. Wouldn't the world be a boring place if everyone did everything exactly the same! One of the beaut things about the rig build ups is to see the different ways people modify there rigs to suit their own specific needs.

Whatever your set up is like, the most important thing is to make sure you use it.

just as a side note, when we went through Gunshot earlier this year there was an easy entry point for anyone not towing a trailer, in fact Gunshot for the people not towing was actually one of the easiest creek crossing on the Tele Track. It often pays to have a look first as things change so often that what is impossible one week can be easy the next.

Cheers Andrew
        [COLOR="#FF0000"]So Long and Thanks for all the Fish![/COLOR]

[url=http://www.4wdadventurers.com/showthread.php?3840-AJ-s-120-Prado]MY PRADO AND DIY CAMPER TRAILER[/url]

[url=http://www.4wdadventurers.com/showthread.php?3975-AJ-s-79-series-Cruiser-Ute]MY HZJ79 Landcrusier[/url]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Nice thread - but boring without pics! :roll: :roll: :wink:

Other thoughts?
          Don't quote an entire section just to make a comment. :shock:
          [B][SIZE=4]ntp
          [/SIZE][/B][COLOR=#000040][B][SIZE=1]Love the Outback............. Love my Prado.[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]
          [I][SIZE=1][URL="http://i520.photobucket.com/albums/w328/ntpryce/Picture23.png"]My Prado[/URL][/SIZE][/I], [I][SIZE=1][URL="http://i520.photobucket.com/albums/w328/ntpryce/MyExtras.png"]My Extras[/URL][/SIZE][/I]
          [B]4wdriving First Party[/B][COLOR=#0000ff] - [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#0000ff]dןǝɥ ɹoɟ ןןɐɔ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı[/COLOR][/B]

Comment

Ah, photos - now that is the issue. I tend not to think about the camera while working, but I'll take a few of the Prado as it stands now and post shortly.

Jim
            2006 GXL Turbo Diesel. Only mods- dual battery setup, Hilux washer jets, Bosch Aerotwin wipers and UHF radio.
            [url=http://www.fuelly.com/driver/jimoctec/prado][img]http://www.fuelly.com/smallsig-metric/56619.png[/img][/url]

Comment

Prado as purchased October 2010

GME TX3440

Fire extinguisher (as shown on Pradopoint).

Cargo barrier fitted over rubber mat.

Home made Trek Table.

Radiator protection plate and recovery hook.

It remains a challenge to keep the costs down, and it doesn't matter whether you are letting SWMBO think it's her car or not.

Jim

Comment

You may need to install a holder for the baygon - Ted Bullpit would want easy access to it to Baygon the mud flaps

Comment

Looks like you only have one bolt holding your recovery hook! I personally wouldn't consider that to be good enough, if you dont already have it a second recovery hook on the other side would be good also, so you can use a bridle to spread the load.

Cheers Andrew

[url=http://www.4wdadventurers.com/showthread.php?3840-AJ-s-120-Prado]MY PRADO AND DIY CAMPER TRAILER[/url]

[url=http://www.4wdadventurers.com/showthread.php?3975-AJ-s-79-series-Cruiser-Ute]MY HZJ79 Landcrusier[/url]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by fishfinder
                    You may need to install a holder for the baygon - Ted Bullpit would want easy access to it to Baygon the mud flaps
                    And another holder for the Mr Sheen. :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by AJ120
                      Looks like you only have one bolt holding your recovery hook! I personally wouldn't consider that to be good enough, if you dont already have it a second recovery hook on the other side would be good also, so you can use a bridle to spread the load.

Cheers Andrew
                      That's underway, I need to get a suitable size drill and get the inner guard out of the way. I've put a rated tow-hook on both sides and I'm intending to drill through the plate that formed the base mount for the, now defunct, nerf bar. As I won't be needing the recovery hooks in the near future I haven't rushed out to finish the job.

A question: I am of a mind to remove the nerf bar base plates so I can sell the bar complete rather than dump it, but do I need to install the tow hooks aligned with the direction of the pull/snatch or could they be attached to the mount from the chassis/radiator frame? That is, perpendicular to the direction of pull/snatch?

I have the later arrangement of the Toyota installed tow hooks through the chassis crossmember which really precludes the use of OI recovery plates and bow shackles, so I'm planning on using an equaliser strap which can go directly onto the hooks rather than needing bow shackles at all. I know the debate on rated hooks and the need to be forged rather than welded has adherents on either side, but I wonder whether the Toyota loops may be useable for snatch recovery given the restriction that only enough energy needs to be put into the snatch operation to help the bogged vehicle start to move, and that if it can't be snatched easily after one or two attempts then it is time to get the shovels, Maxxtrax, etc., to work to ease the next attempt.

I wonder how much kinetic energy is involved in some of the snatch operations I've seen on 4WD Action DVDs? Something that may well be more than the actually "rating."

Comment

Very interesting re the mods. We are a funny lot in what we think is absolutely necessary and the reasons we use to explain ourselves away to SWMBO in order to gain a satisfactory nod of approval rather than the stern looks etc. I wonder what is the strangest or funniest excuse anyone had ever used to gain approval from swmbo. Maybe I will post that up as a separate thread and see what people have to say.

Other than that, WELCOME to PP. I noticed that either Santa was a bit mean to you this year or you got your priorities right by you signing up to PP early on Christmas Morning :P cheers
                        [size=1][color=#990000][b]--> Macarthur District 4WD Club Member <--[/b][/color]
                        ::2005 Black Grande Petrol V6::2 x PP Stickers::ARB Deluxe Winch Bar::IPF Spotties + Fogs:: Dual Battery, ABR DBi120 Isolator & Volt Monitor::ARB Portable Air:: Rear Drawer Unit::Trek Table::WAECO 40Lt::WAECO Raps R12U::AMTS Rear Tyre Spacer::HILUX Washers::UHF::Prodigy P3::Stebel Air Horns:: Inverter::CouplerTec Electronic Rustproofing::OEM Roof Racks, Towbar, Hard Wheel Cover::REAR CAMERA to factory GPS::[/size]

Comment

I have the later arrangement of the Toyota installed tow hooks through the chassis crossmember which really precludes the use of OI recovery plates and bow shackles, so I'm planning on using an equaliser strap which can go directly onto the hooks rather than needing bow shackles at all. I know the debate on rated hooks and the need to be forged rather than welded has adherents on either side, but I wonder whether the Toyota loops may be useable for snatch recovery given the restriction that only enough energy needs to be put into the snatch operation to help the bogged vehicle start to move, and that if it can't be snatched easily after one or two attempts then it is time to get the shovels, Maxxtrax, etc., to work to ease the next attempt.

I wonder how much kinetic energy is involved in some of the snatch operations I've seen on 4WD Action DVDs? Something that may well be more than the actually "rating."
                          The use of the factory fitted "tow-loops" has been extensively covered elsewhere in the forum and the concensus is that they should not under any circumstance be used for recovery (winch or snatch). They have been fitted simply to allow the car to be secured while in transport on the back of a truck or trailer. I wont go into it further - but I recommend investigating and reading the existing threads, all the research has been done already.

That's underway, I need to get a suitable size drill and get the inner guard out of the way. I've put a rated tow-hook on both sides and I'm intending to drill through the plate that formed the base mount for the, now defunct, nerf bar. As I won't be needing the recovery hooks in the near future I haven't rushed out to finish the job.
                          Also, not that I feel i need to cover this, I would just like to point out that - i hope you have no intention of actually using your aftermarket hooks while they remain incorrectly fitted... ? :shock: :shock:

A question: I am of a mind to remove the nerf bar base plates so I can sell the bar complete rather than dump it, but do I need to install the tow hooks aligned with the direction of the pull/snatch or could they be attached to the mount from the chassis/radiator frame? That is, perpendicular to the direction of pull/snatch?
                          They should be mounted as per the manufacturers specification which I would assume is - as you put it - in the direction of the recovery! To install them perpendicular to the direction of the recovery would put undue stress in a manner which the hooks are not designed to cope with and potentially cause a faiulure... This failure can cause potentially fatal injuries for anyone within range of the rope/wire/strap and any other projectiles.

When in doubt, speak to the professionals - the supplier of the recovery hooks will certainly be able to give you the advise needed for a correct install.
                          2014 D4D 150 GXL Automatic - CHARCOAL

Comment

jimoctec wrote:
                            The vast majority of people on this forum use either the OI recovery points or similar, or the loops on the ARB bar. When i had my soverign bar i was one of the few who used the rated recovery hooks. Have a look at the first page in my rig build up (link in signature below) for some pictures of how i did it.
                            They were mounted in the correct alignment and worked succesfully through numerous recoveries, mostly during driver training but also a couple of real recoveries.

Cheers Andrew

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Don't quote an entire section just to make a comment. :shock:[/quote]

Ok, if this is directed at me.....fair enough......suppose I should have deleted all bar the last line ie :
                              Other thoughts?
                              Still learning.......always somthing new to learn.
                              He Who Laughs Last...........Didn't Get It

Comment

canli bahis siteleri bahis siteleri ecebet.net
                              mencisport.com
                              antalya escort
                              tsyd.org deneme bonusu veren siteler
                              deneme bonusu veren siteler
                              gaziantep escort
                              gaziantep escort
                              asyabahis maltcasino olabahis olabahis
                              erotik film izle Rus escort gaziantep rus escort
                              atasehir escort tuzla escort