Fraser Island - April 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anth120playdo View Post
    Mate there is definitely a barge that comes in at eurong, it runs 24hrs as well.
    ####,
    Great, sounds like you have it all sorted then.

Can you point me to the 4wd barge that comes in at Eurong please?
    I have never seen one land there and its not on any of the maps or commerical services that I know of.
    I dont think it would make sense though anyway as its much faster to get off the mantra tray , and you can run up the beach at 80kms/hr.

Have a great trip and we look forward to the trip report.
    Cheers
    [B]Robert
    [URL="http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread.php?32134-Gumboot-s-120-D4D-GXL"]2007 D4D GXL Prado[/URL][/B]
    [I]"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."[/I]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by Anth120playdo View Post
      Just wanted to see if this is readable

I couldn't read it on my iPhone...
      Cheers, Brad
      2007 GXL, Dune, D4D 6 speed manual. Satnav, towbar, Sahara Bullbar, Bridgestone D697's, Cargo Barrier, Stebel Truck Horn, Couplertec Rust Protection, Safari Snorkel, Polyair airbags, Blue Narva 175's, VMS Touring 700HDsII, GME TX3340, Tough Dog 2" lift with adjustable shocks, ARB rear air locker.

Comment

Originally posted by braddo View Post
        I couldn't read it on my iPhone...
        Hey brad, That's what I thought, just bored, throwing some info up, photobucket stuff loads at pretty low quality.

Originally posted by gumboot View Post
        ####,
        Great, sounds like you have it all sorted then.

Can you point me to the 4wd barge that comes in at Eurong please?
        I have never seen one land there and its not on any of the maps or commerical services that I know of.
        I dont think it would make sense though anyway as its much faster to get off the mantra tray , and you can run up the beach at 80kms/hr.

Have a great trip and we look forward to the trip report.
        Cheers
        Rob, Just having a lend, if you read post 81# I have already posted where we are going on and off - (tentatively)
        Please also refer to post 86&88.
        Just to be clear, I am we'll aware of the 3 barges that operate, where hey are, the times, the pricing & have been on them all before.
        Also the majority on this trip have been to Fraser before, we are not going blind, (maybe deaf, well I am).

Appreciate all the local help, but what we need is some local info, on some nice secret spots that are not the usual spots for tourists....... Got anything?

We will have a ripper trip, thankx, will throw up plenty of pics for you, we have Anders, the photobucket addict and he is training me on throwing up 50 pics a day lol.......

Comment

Was talking to the rangers there as i'm popping up for a few days on the 8th for a few days, there are some road closures due to roadworks/repairs after easter weekend but they should be all sorted by the time the PP trip is on.
          Just be warned that on the nprsr website there is some conflicting info depending on where you look. Even the ranger said it was embarrassing how bad their online info is sometimes.
          I'll give you guys a bit of a report aswell, but taking my & a mates families up so the 4wding may not be as extensive as i would like.

Cheers
          James

Comment

Originally posted by jss View Post
            Was talking to the rangers there as i'm popping up for a few days on the 8th for a few days, there are some road closures due to roadworks/repairs after easter weekend but they should be all sorted by the time the PP trip is on.
            Just be warned that on the nprsr website there is some conflicting info depending on where you look. Even the ranger said it was embarrassing how bad their online info is sometimes.
            I'll give you guys a bit of a report aswell, but taking my & a mates families up so the 4wding may not be as extensive as i would like.

Cheers
            James
            Hi James,

Yeah I hear you, we will check the info on the web anyway, and also at the office when we get our permits, also I talk to locals & others heading the other way - (I don't take it as gospel either).
            Look forward to the report, hopefully with some interesting picy's.
            Like I say, can't have too much info.

I remember you won't forget the beer!

Have a good one!

Comment

Just got back yesterday. I'd just like to say a big thanks to the forum for the encouragement regarding what my 90 is capable of!

I had a total of 6 people the car, full tanks and a loaded roof rack with tent and gazebo and made it to Cathedrals with no problems . The rock sections were a little intimidating for a newbie but a great learning experience.

Coming of the barge and into hook point was a little soft but with a bit of momentum, i had no dramas. After watching videos and hearing stories about Indian Head, I was a bit anxious, especially with 6 people and full tanks.
              When we got there, we checked it out, found the line we'd take then took a nice run up, no backing off, No dramas! I had the biggest grin more the next 15mins.
              The entrance up to Champagne Pools was a little steep and soft but momentum and bit of gas got me through the soft stuff and up to more solid ground first go.

We took the inland track to lake Mackenzie from Eurong but took ages! A little muddy section to climb over took some time for a my mate in his Hilux but got it first go in the 90 as apparently he had "flattened it" for me haha. Some sections got tight, some little pools of water. Bit of a drive though!

Cathedrals was pretty busy with a lot of families. Grounds are clean and camp site bins are emptied each day. Amenities are reasonably clean. You will get a small cold water spike when having a hot shower and others turn on there showers. I tried to get the shower closest to the gas hot water system outside .

The staff are great and the Shop/ Reception has a lot of supplies. Alcohol is also sold. Crushed ice and block ice available at around $5 a bag. Unleaded and Diesel also available outside the shop at $2.10Ltr and $2.15 for the diesel.

Couple of Dingos around, more so at night and can be seen with there green glowing eyes when using a torch. Staff say to carry a stick and walk in pairs when walking around.

A lot of gutters just out side the campsite where we found a few Dart using prawns. I hooked onto some Bream at Maheno Wreck using light gear. Left hand side has a little gutter, cast about a meter from the wreck. It doesn't look that deep but they were there .

I was surprised sight the amount of Prados I saw but didn't see any PP Stickers.

At the time, there were no road closures.

We had an absolute blast and will definitely be going again!
              Mark90s
              Last edited by Mark90s; 02-04-2013, 11:03 AM.
              97' Prado Grande, 2 Inch Lift, EFS Suspension, TJM Winch Bar. BFGoodrich A/T KO 275/70/ R16, 20% Tint, Tigerz11 3/4 aluminum roof rack.

Comment

Good report Mark90s, thanks for that. Only 19 days to go!......
                braddo
                Last edited by braddo; 02-04-2013, 12:34 PM. Reason: typo!
                Cheers, Brad
                2007 GXL, Dune, D4D 6 speed manual. Satnav, towbar, Sahara Bullbar, Bridgestone D697's, Cargo Barrier, Stebel Truck Horn, Couplertec Rust Protection, Safari Snorkel, Polyair airbags, Blue Narva 175's, VMS Touring 700HDsII, GME TX3340, Tough Dog 2" lift with adjustable shocks, ARB rear air locker.

Comment

Just back from Fraser, no photo's (sorry) but I can tell you the conditions.

Cyclone Oswald certainly ripped through the place and you'll see the damage just after coming across form Inskip Point, much of the beach area washed away and loads of debris to navigate around BEFORE you get on the main beach (yes the bypass track up the middle to Dilli Village was open BUT not sure that it will be after Easter).

SO (and important) you need to come over as close as posisble to low tide, otherwise expect a wait.

We went across 2 hours after high tide and still had to wait for about 30 minutes for the water to subside enough to get around the debris, and that's a first as in years gone by that's not been an issue BUT there is certainly a heap of wood debris around the bottom area until you get on main beach.

Once on the main East Beach is was a pretty clear run up north, a few of the usual rock bypasses to get around (always fun)....if you vehicle is low you may well get a few scrapes, mine is lifted and so never an issue.

The tracks in the middle have been knocked around, and in fact some were only opened up not long before the Easter break, but none were anything like impassable (well not for my Prado anyway)

Due to the rain the sand was very hard, so not challenging in any way BUT I only went as far as Waddy Poont, so for those thinking about Sandy Cape you had better ask as I can,t help.

Happy to answer any questions......but I am sure you'll enjoy it's a wonderful spot....oh make sure you visit the Champagne Pools just past Indian Head, GREAT spot for a swim and a perve...I have never seen so many bikini clad backpackers in my life!!

Cheers all and have fun
                  150 Silver Diesel GXL Auto with ECB Bullbar, Toyota Factory towbar, Black Widow Drawer system with Fridge slide and cargo barrier, GME UHF 3340 Radio, Waeco 50 Litre Fridge, Rhino Racks and Rhino Basket, ARB Awning, IPF XS Spotties, ABR Sidewinder Dual Battery system,Airtec Snorkel, Bilstien Shockies, King Springs, Poly Airbags and BFG A/T''s. Now towing a semi offroad Lotus Freelander 18.6 Van, with all the bells and whistles.

Comment

Thanks or the update on conditions guys. Will have to see what another couple of weeks will bring! Sounds like champagne pools are definetly the place to be!!
                    150 with stuff bolted on!
                    [url]http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread.php?27272-JPH-s-150-GXL[/url]

Comment

• Originally posted by Mark90s View Post
                      Just got back yesterday. I'd just like to say a big thanks to the forum for the encouragement regarding what my 90 is capable of!

I had a total of 6 people the car, full tanks and a loaded roof rack with tent and gazebo and made it to Cathedrals with no problems . The rock sections were a little intimidating for a newbie but a great learning experience.

Coming of the barge and into hook point was a little soft but with a bit of momentum, i had no dramas. After watching videos and hearing stories about Indian Head, I was a bit anxious, especially with 6 people and full tanks.
                      When we got there, we checked it out, found the line we'd take then took a nice run up, no backing off, No dramas! I had the biggest grin more the next 15mins.
                      The entrance up to Champagne Pools was a little steep and soft but momentum and bit of gas got me through the soft stuff and up to more solid ground first go.

We took the inland track to lake Mackenzie from Eurong but took ages! A little muddy section to climb over took some time for a my mate in his Hilux but got it first go in the 90 as apparently he had "flattened it" for me haha. Some sections got tight, some little pools of water. Bit of a drive though!

Cathedrals was pretty busy with a lot of families. Grounds are clean and camp site bins are emptied each day. Amenities are reasonably clean. You will get a small cold water spike when having a hot shower and others turn on there showers. I tried to get the shower closest to the gas hot water system outside .

The staff are great and the Shop/ Reception has a lot of supplies. Alcohol is also sold. Crushed ice and block ice available at around $5 a bag. Unleaded and Diesel also available outside the shop at $2.10Ltr and $2.15 for the diesel.

Couple of Dingos around, more so at night and can be seen with there green glowing eyes when using a torch. Staff say to carry a stick and walk in pairs when walking around.

A lot of gutters just out side the campsite where we found a few Dart using prawns. I hooked onto some Bream at Maheno Wreck using light gear. Left hand side has a little gutter, cast about a meter from the wreck. It doesn't look that deep but they were there .

I was surprised sight the amount of Prados I saw but didn't see any PP Stickers.

At the time, there were no road closures.

We had an absolute blast and will definitely be going again!
                      Glad you enjoyed your trip, Thankx for the report/ info!

Originally posted by braddo View Post
                      Good report Mark90s, thanks for that. Only 19 days to go!......
                      Who's counting? Who's not?

Originally posted by Mark from Brisbane View Post
                      Just back from Fraser, no photo's (sorry) but I can tell you the conditions.

Cyclone Oswald certainly ripped through the place and you'll see the damage just after coming across form Inskip Point, much of the beach area washed away and loads of debris to navigate around BEFORE you get on the main beach (yes the bypass track up the middle to Dilli Village was open BUT not sure that it will be after Easter).

SO (and important) you need to come over as close as posisble to low tide, otherwise expect a wait.

We went across 2 hours after high tide and still had to wait for about 30 minutes for the water to subside enough to get around the debris, and that's a first as in years gone by that's not been an issue BUT there is certainly a heap of wood debris around the bottom area until you get on main beach.

Once on the main East Beach is was a pretty clear run up north, a few of the usual rock bypasses to get around (always fun)....if you vehicle is low you may well get a few scrapes, mine is lifted and so never an issue.

The tracks in the middle have been knocked around, and in fact some were only opened up not long before the Easter break, but none were anything like impassable (well not for my Prado anyway)

Due to the rain the sand was very hard, so not challenging in any way BUT I only went as far as Waddy Poont, so for those thinking about Sandy Cape you had better ask as I can,t help.

Happy to answer any questions......but I am sure you'll enjoy it's a wonderful spot....oh make sure you visit the Champagne Pools just past Indian Head, GREAT spot for a swim and a perve...I have never seen so many bikini clad backpackers in my life!!

Cheers all and have fun
                      Good to see you had a good trip too, thanks for the update!

Originally posted by JPH View Post
                      Thanks or the update on conditions guys. Will have to see what another couple of weeks will bring! Sounds like champagne pools are definetly the place to be!!
                      You beat me to it!
                      There are a few places that are a must each time one visits fraser, Eli and champagne are on the top 5 IMO.

Comment

• Anthony, the other shipwreck I was talking about near Rainbow, was southwest of double island point. Just googled it, it was called the Cherry Venture and was removed in 2007. So there you go, the area has probably changed a lot since I was there just after Christmas 2001!
                        150 with stuff bolted on!
                        [url]http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread.php?27272-JPH-s-150-GXL[/url]

Comment

• You can't climb onto the Maheno (I used to be able to do that), the wreck is starting to fall apart and I'd say within a decade will be largely gone.

Lots of tour buses pull up there as well, it, along with Eurong/ Eli Creek have a 30 KPH limit (well sign posted). And note there are ALWAYS cops doing speed checks and breath tests, I saw a swag of people drinking and driving (yes it was Easter) but suggest you give that a miss.

I stayed at Cathedrals (sorry my PP sticker isn't on as yet) and would concur it's a great spot...nice hot showers, reasonably grassy, some great camp kitchens (BBQ, Microwave and washing facilities) and loads of bikini clad backpackers (yep they are here as well!!)....although the backpackers stay on a totally different area to the regular joes so no issues with late night party's.

Sadly (on this occasion) I didn't get up to Sandy Cape, had a bit of a crew on board (grandkids etc) so didn;t head up as far as that, only to Waddy Point.

I would suggest inexperienced sand and 4WD conditions drivers may find some of the rock crossings intimidating (as someone else suggested above), but as long as you have your tyre pressures right, and as long as you don't go like a bull at a gate you'll be fine.

I ran my BFG's at 20PSI and never once thought I had to drop any further, the little "rise" up into Champagne Pools is probably the only quite challenging part, you can either use momentum or slip into low and crawl up....the sand is quite chopped up and I did see a guy in a Triton bogged when coming back later in the day, but a quick look at his Tyres suggested he was still running at 40PSI plus......I stuck my head out the window and said "let your tyres down mate" , the look he gave me was priceless (WTF comes to mind!!!)

It's a great 4WD destination, not difficult just fun!!

Those wanting "hard core" action may well be dissapointed, being an "old fart" it suits me perfectly.....Mmmmm....might have to head back for the Anzac Day "long" weekend.
                          150 Silver Diesel GXL Auto with ECB Bullbar, Toyota Factory towbar, Black Widow Drawer system with Fridge slide and cargo barrier, GME UHF 3340 Radio, Waeco 50 Litre Fridge, Rhino Racks and Rhino Basket, ARB Awning, IPF XS Spotties, ABR Sidewinder Dual Battery system,Airtec Snorkel, Bilstien Shockies, King Springs, Poly Airbags and BFG A/T''s. Now towing a semi offroad Lotus Freelander 18.6 Van, with all the bells and whistles.

Comment

• Originally posted by JPH View Post
                            Anthony, the other shipwreck I was talking about near Rainbow, was southwest of double island point. Just googled it, it was called the Cherry Venture and was removed in 2007. So there you go, the area has probably changed a lot since I was there just after Christmas 2001!
                            Yeahh thats why i always saw it, then i didnt see it when i was there some time ago.... or not so much time ago.....
                            ohh and you know i recon it was much the same over the last 15 years just in the last few months or year or well some time, this has all happened to the beaches.

Comment

• I ran 20psi and had no dramas. Even through Indian Head and The rise up to Champagne Pools.

Definitely bring a snorkel mask for Champagne Pools. There was some decent Bream and Whiting there. I even found a pair of nice polarised Ray Bans in the deeper section.

The mask was also handy at Eli Creek for spotting fish hiding amongst the mangroves. We dropped some pieces of bread upstream and watched the fish smash it.
                              Theres a nice current at Eli Creek too. If you bring a tire tube or similar or even a snorkel set, you'll be able to drift down the creek to the entrance.

Phone Reception was a bit hit and miss, even with Telstra. We had a couple of bars of coverage at Happy Valley and on top of a hill of one of the inland tracks, near Urang Creek.

My mate had a Hema but i also printed out the following map and laminated it for both of us to keep in the car for reference of the facilities and attractions:

http://www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/parks/fr...island-map.pdf
                              Mark90s
                              Last edited by Mark90s; 04-04-2013, 11:16 AM. Reason: typo
                              97' Prado Grande, 2 Inch Lift, EFS Suspension, TJM Winch Bar. BFGoodrich A/T KO 275/70/ R16, 20% Tint, Tigerz11 3/4 aluminum roof rack.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mark90s View Post
                                I ran 20psi and had no dramas. Even through Indian Head and The rise up to Champagne Pools.

Definitely bring a snorkel mask for Champagne Pools. There was some decent Bream and Whiting there. I even found a pair of nice polarised Ray Bans in the deeper section.

The mask was also handy at Eli Creek for spotting fish hiding amongst the mangroves. We dropped some pieces of bread upstream and watched the fish smash it.
                                Theres a nice current at Eli Creek too. If you bring a tire tube or similar or even a snorkel set, you'll be able to drift down the creek to the entrance.

Phone Reception was a bit hit and miss, even with Telstra. We had a couple of bars of coverage at Happy Valley and on top of a hill of one of the inland tracks, near Urang Creek.

My mate had a Hema but i also printed out the following map and laminated it for both of us to keep in the car for reference of the facilities and attractions:

http://www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/parks/fr...island-map.pdf
                                Last time I was at champagne big thick 40cm whiting were getting thrown in with us, it's mad. Can't catch em!
                                Ohh yes a pfd, yes no yes no not a pfd a pfd personal floating device like a blow up boat or pool chair will be required at Eli. Ohh and a can per run? Jeez I'm silly.

Comment

canli bahis siteleri bahis siteleri ecebet.net
                                mencisport.com
                                antalya escort
                                tsyd.org deneme bonusu veren siteler
                                deneme bonusu veren siteler
                                gaziantep escort
                                gaziantep escort
                                asyabahis maltcasino olabahis olabahis
                                erotik film izle Rus escort gaziantep rus escort
                                atasehir escort tuzla escort
                                sikis sex hatti
                                en iyi casino siteleri
                                casibom
                                betticket istanbulbahis
                                Working...
                                X