Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TRIP REPORT :Northern Rivers 4x4 Trail - bandwidth hungry

Northern Rivers 4x4 Trail

Let me summarise simply... Wow, what a trip!

We took 5-days, camping along the way. Things that were great about this trip...

- Many campsite options gave us plenty of touring flexibility
    - Riverside camping is free!
    - Big and fast flowing rivers
    - Beauty and grandeur
    - Plenty of side-tracks to explore
    - Avoids most black-top
    - No mobile phone coverage (3G, Telstra, Optus, Vodaphone).
    - Being with like-minded family/friends

The Northern Rivers 4x4 Trail introduces you to the Clarence River, Mann River, Boyd River, Nymboida River.

I preloaded my GPS (Garmin Nuvi 760) with all the planned routes and several alternatives. Also loaded with ShonkyMaps, Shonky Contours and Tracks4Australia, there was no excuse for getting lost . The Garmin turned out to be an invaluable tool for exploring otherwise unmkared trails.

Day 1 - Beaudesert to Iron Pot Creek, (via Old Mt Lindesay Hwy and Tooloom Falls)

The journey began when we met at McDonald's in Beaudesert.

Soon we were headed south on the Mt. Lindesay Hwy and eagerly looking for side-tracks to explore. It wasn't long before we turned-off on The Old Mount Lindesay Hwy. Both my GPS and Google Maps show this road crossing the QLD/NSW boarder and connecting Mt Lindesay Hwy with the Summerland Way. Perfect! Unfortunately, the mapping software did not highlight a double-gate padlocked to the hilt. We could drive as far as the border, but there was no way through.

All the same, the Old Mount Lindesay Hwy proved to be an outstanding detour. It's an unsealed road that passes through farmland and several gates. It provided some relatively easy 4WD'ing mixed with magnificent country-side, views to Mount Lindesay, and it was greener than I've ever seen it.

Here is one of the soft-trails on Old Mount Lindesay Hwy:

A fern-covered pond provided artistic contrast to the green landscape:

We saw Mount Lindesay from every direction. Mount Lindesay reveals its characteristic tiers:

A few easy creek crossings and plenty of cows for entertainment:

When we arrived at what I believe was the border, we were faced with these double-gates, both padlocked. That's me in no-man's land.

We had no other choice but return to the Mt. Lindesay Hwy to continue on our way.

The northern head of The 4x4 Trail is at the curiously named town of Woodenbong - the local police station was entertaining in its own right and in keeping with the name of the town...

A little south-west of Woodenbong and just south of Urbenville, is Tooloom Falls. This was our lunch stop:

Tooloom Falls eventually feeds into the Clarence River. It provides basic camping and it is very popular for quads and motorcycles. In our case, we crossed over the causeway and continued through some bush-trails. Eventually, we wound our way North-East, through farmland, back to Summerland Way in search of Cox's Road, which takes us into Toonumbar National Park.

Our first night was spent at Iron Pot Creek Campground. It offers basic facilities (long-drop loo) with each campsite in a private setting surrounded by rainforest.

Day 2 - Iron Pot Creek to Yates Crossing

If only we knew what lay ahead on this day... The day started out with a pleasant drive to the Toonumbar Dam, where we took the time for some exploring by foot:

The remainder of the drive was intended to follow the Cambridge Plateau, which runs north-south along the Richmond Range, all the way to Mallanganee on the Bruxner Hwy.

In the spirit of this little exploration, I noticed a promising track named Paw Paw Skids. This is where the GPS left me a little misguided, giving me the false promise of tracks that would return us to the Cambridge Plateau. Instead, we found ourselves literally axing our way through fallen timber and breaking back lantana that more than just threatened to pin-stripe our paintwork.

This part of the adventure had us discovering poorly maintained fire trails and we worked hard to cut our way through the occassional thorn-covered blockage. All the same, the bush-trail was fun and at times quite exciting. The sense of nobody having been on this trail for such a long time only added to the mystique of where it was to lead us. Meanwhile, the GPS maps showed the trail depositing us just south of a small town called Bonalbo.

We also managed to wash away some of the mud and dirt...

In retropsect, we over-spent our time on this trail. It was a little disappointing to not see the remainder of the Cambridge Plateau, so that will be something to savour on a future trip.

All the same, this did afford us a chance encounter with fellow PradoPointers. As we approached Mallanganee, the heavens had ripped apart and unleashed bucket-sized drops of water across the land. When we entered the town, who should we find huddled under a picnic rotunda, but our fellow PP'ers. (Hi to Jim, Allan and their families!).

The looming evening was pressing us to review our earlier plan. A decision was made to head to Yates Crossing to setup camp. Naturally, we would not take the black-top, and continued our path through more unsealed road and farm country. As it turned out, Yates Crossing was a delighter. Nestled along a spectacular part of the Clarence River, with some sections of rapids to keep us entertained. Too many pics to show, so here is a couple of my choices: (Note that there are no facilities at Yates Crossing).

There is a huge area available for campers. We setup on the cliff edge, with a walkway down to the bubbling river.

Day 3 - Yates Crossing to Mann River Nature Reserve, via Jackadgery

This was a longish day of driving. There is an interesting wooden bridge crossing the Clarence River:

Stunning views along the Gwydir Hwy around the Gibraltar Ranges and Washpool National Park.

We expected Jackadgery to be a little township, but in fact it is no more than a caravan park on the Gwydir Hwy. They did sell fuel and food.

The camground at Mann River Nature Reserve is on the Old Glen Innes - Grafton Hwy. It was comfortable and once again, the riverside camping was outstanding.

The river has a couple of small sections of rapids, suitable for inflatable boats for the kids.

Day 4 - Mann River to Nymboida River Camp

The Old Glen Innes - Grafton Hwy provided some of the most picturesque views of the trip. The first bit of fun was found around 10km after leaving the camground. We took the turn-off to Tom's Lookout, via the Narrow Pass Fire Trail, which provided some entertaining 4WD'ing and when we arrived at the lookout, the views were breathtaking.

It follows the Boyd river, which has many spectacular sections. Once again, there are many options for camping along this river. So if you wanted to take more time enjoying this part of the world, it would be very easy.

Eventually, we came to a tunnel that was hand-carved through solid stone by the convicts in the late 1800's. This is the only rock outcrop along the way and is just 6kms west of Dalmorton. One of the campers I met mentioned their Winnebago would fit under it, but because of the roundness of the tunnel, the corners of their campervan would have been reformed if they pressed on. There is no other way around, so they had to return.

This was quite cool, and we couldn't resist a few fun shots...

We travelled into Nymoboida, expecting to find food and fuel. Unfortunately, no fuel and the only place we found food was at this odd place:

From here we backtracked to the Nymboida River Camp ground. It is odd that there are very few signs indicating how to get there. We followed the GPS and my nose to discover this area. Again, we camped right beside the river.

This is one seriously fast-flowing river. I wanna come back with a kayak to explore this area quite a bit more. This next photo just doesn't do it justice, but I tried...

Day 5 - Nymboida River Camp to Home

Not far from the campground, we found a fun and very very steep trail. It lead nowhwere:

Back home, the car was looking like it had done what it was bought for . Many many looks by passers by. The hand car-wash guys were quite amused.

LFaR.
    [size=1][color=#770000]29Feb12:[/color][color=#777700]12GXLTD Auto, ARB Deluxe Winch bar, WARN 9.5xp Winch, IPF 900XS, Tow, Safari snorkel, Front + Rear Recovery points, ARB OME NC Sports, ATZ-4Rib[/color][color=grey], Silver[/color]. [color=orange][b]MaxTrax[/b][/color], [color=maroon]ScanGuage II[/color], [color=blue]ARB CKMA12[/color], [color=deeppink]UHF: GME TX3440 AE4018K1 UNH047SX[/color], [color=darkgreen]Bushranger Air Jack[/color], [color=green]Staun + ARB Deflators[/color], [color=brown]WindCheetah Roof Rack[/color], [color=green]Foxwing[/color], [color=red]Super Charge MRV70, Redarc BCDC1220[/color], [color=darkblue]ARB 60L fridge[/color], [color=blue]MSA Fridge Dropdown slide[/color], [color=darkyellow]DRIFTA Drawers[/color], [color=gold]TJM Bash Plates[/color], [color=brown]TG150[/color].[/size]

Re: Northern Rivers 4x4 Trail - bandwidth hungry

Looks like a great area to explore, camp, 4wd and relax. Brilliant photos looks like you had a ball
    2003 GXL 3.0 TD, 60 lt waeco, ARB dual batery, OME suspension, ARB delux winch bar, Desert sky camper trailer
    [url=http://www.fuelly.com/driver/valleygxl120/prado][img]http://www.fuelly.com/smallsig-metric/55972.png[/img][/url]

Comment

great write up and pics ...looks awsome

joey
      Featured - issue 140 Australian 4wd Action.
      -issue 52 Modified 4wds .
      Locked ,Lifted, boosted Brut---"Pradzilla".
      [IMG]http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff268/bigfryy/_0481154045-2.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

Looks like you had fun, must of missed you by a bee's dick !!

The old road has been closed for quite a few years, it kept getting washed away and is only passable to bikes, quads and walking. There was an old tick inspection site there.

The quads, bikes and buggies were pretty busy up there. Occasionally the coppers/npws get up there and book everyone

The rain made the Cambridge Plateau really boggy and was ripped up by every man and his horse, 4wd, bike, quad and skateboard. The camping area was packed !!

Gorge's rd a couple of kms south of PPS is in pretty good nick but thanks for clearing paw paw I have some other tracks that are you may like?

Did you get the hail storm on the 30th ?? I think it blew over a few more trees

A couple of the river camps were packed over xmas, I haven't seen so many people there for a long time. I guess everyone is doing the cheap holidays this year with the economy down the toilet.

FYI - If you need fuel/supplies around Nymboida area head down to Coutts Crossing or Grafton 20 odd Kms down the road
        "Ooops I just deleted the internet, lucky I was able to recover 99.7% of it out of the bin" :lol:

Comment

That's an awesome trip report LFaR.

Looks like a huge amount of fun ... and some spectacular pics along the way.

Cheers
          Chippy

Comment

Oh, that's a shame we missed each other. Your knowledge of this area is oustanding and thanks for all your earlier tips in PM. Just how often do you travel this route?

Originally posted by Spurio
            Looks like you had fun, must of missed you by a bee's dick !!
            We stayed at Iron Pot on the 27th and then on the 28th detoured down PPS, never to return to CP. It would have been great to catch-up along the way. Maybe another day.

The old road has been closed for quite a few years, it kept getting washed away and is only passable to bikes, quads and walking. There was an old tick inspection site there.
            Yeah, we heard the same from a 'farmer' repairing a small washout - well, he drove a tractor, so I thought of him as a farmer .

I guess I am grateful there was no sign indicating no-through road, as we would been less likely to head through that area. It was well worth the detour. The QLD side of the trail was easy 4WD'ing, so I guess you are talking about the NSW side. It's a a shame the funding isn't there to keep that trail open. I would like to explore the NSW side one-day too...

The rain made the Cambridge Plateau really boggy and was ripped up by every man and his horse, 4wd, bike, quad and skateboard. The camping area was packed !!
            Interesting. In our case, we had no problem with camping. In fact, we had our pick of sites each night. I understand the coastal camping was sardine-like, (e.g. settlers camp, Yuragir etc).

Gorge's rd a couple of kms south of PPS is in pretty good nick
            Another trail. Bewdy!

but thanks for clearing paw paw I have some other tracks that are you may like?
            You clear paths too?

Did you get the hail storm on the 30th ?? I think it blew over a few more trees
            We missed the rain on the 30th. Though on the 28th, we were hit by a massive downpour with some small pieces of hail in the mix. By the 30th we were a long way South, on the Old Glen Innes - Grafton road.

FYI - If you need fuel/supplies around Nymboida area head down to Coutts Crossing or Grafton 20 odd Kms down the road
            Yeah, the GPS told me similarly... Actually, the fuel wasn't a problem for us. I wanted to point that out because there were pamphlets that indicate Nymboida has fuel. Then when you drive into it, there were fuel signs with a recently marked "X", which suggested to me the fuel station was recently deceased.

Thanks again for the tips Spurio. If you happen to be planning a trip through there again, drop me a PM, maybe we can join company along the way.

Next time I would like to go with a Kayak... now I need to add a Kayak to my shopping list .

Cheers,
            LFaR.
            [size=1][color=#770000]29Feb12:[/color][color=#777700]12GXLTD Auto, ARB Deluxe Winch bar, WARN 9.5xp Winch, IPF 900XS, Tow, Safari snorkel, Front + Rear Recovery points, ARB OME NC Sports, ATZ-4Rib[/color][color=grey], Silver[/color]. [color=orange][b]MaxTrax[/b][/color], [color=maroon]ScanGuage II[/color], [color=blue]ARB CKMA12[/color], [color=deeppink]UHF: GME TX3440 AE4018K1 UNH047SX[/color], [color=darkgreen]Bushranger Air Jack[/color], [color=green]Staun + ARB Deflators[/color], [color=brown]WindCheetah Roof Rack[/color], [color=green]Foxwing[/color], [color=red]Super Charge MRV70, Redarc BCDC1220[/color], [color=darkblue]ARB 60L fridge[/color], [color=blue]MSA Fridge Dropdown slide[/color], [color=darkyellow]DRIFTA Drawers[/color], [color=gold]TJM Bash Plates[/color], [color=brown]TG150[/color].[/size]

Comment

Great Write up LFaR, nice pics sounds like a great trip.
              [b]Rob[/b]

[b]2016 Toyota Hilux SR5 D4D Auto Company Cruiser... [/b].
              [url=http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread.php?23866-Hutch-s-2012-150-GXL-V6-petrol-Auto]Hutch's 2012 Build up[/url]
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

No worries LFAR, glad you had a great time. OK I must confess, "I am a Nymboida, Toonumbar, Washpool, Guy Fawkes, New England NP junky". I try and get away at least once every 3 months, its good for the soul :shock:

AFAIK re old road (haven't been up the track for about 5 years) you can (could) drive most of the way up on the NSW side to within 1/2 km of where you were. The black earth tracks up there get really boggy and sticky as hell after a bit of rain (i.e. fill up the entire wheel well with mud) there are a heaps of old roads to explore up there, great on Mtn bikes

I always carry a chainsaw now as the slightest wind always brings a few branches, trees down, good for repairing old bridges.

I was 'around' Nymboida, Guy Fawkes, New England and Chaellundi from the 23rd to the 30th trying out a couple of new flies I was really surprised as most of the camps were packed (OK some of the more remote ones only had other people there :cry: ). We were still hiting the +30C right up in the mountains at 1400m but the water was probably 6C.

Down in there was where I spent a couple of dayz

i have a perception dancer that is about 15 years old, its great for going down the occasional rapid, bit of a bugger on flat water though. You can hire kayaks, canoes and all the gear at the Nymboida canoe centre. They have a nice little trainning section from the hydro station back to camp to get your ww skill a bit of practice.

Yeap it would be good to catch up, work makes forward planning a bit difficult, I usually head up with little or no notice.

This was our camp about 1km or so down river from everyone else, (not to far from one of your picts) its as far as you can drive, you may need to do a couple of deep water crossings to get there and yes the grass was really that green
                "Ooops I just deleted the internet, lucky I was able to recover 99.7% of it out of the bin" :lol:

Comment

awsome write up, love the pics, shame everything so brown over here at the moment haha..
                  [B]My 2007 D4D [COLOR=darkred]Flinders Red[/COLOR] Buildup[/B] - [URL="http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread.php?13590-Golly-s-Flinders-Red-D4D-GXL"] HERE[/URL] :cool:
                  [B][COLOR=navy]K[COLOR=red]D[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=darkorange]L[/COLOR] Designs[/B] (Designer for the 2009 GTG Banner) - [URL="http://kdldesigns.net/index.php/banners"] HERE[/URL] ;)

Comment

Glad you enjoyed the rest of your trip. After we left you at Mallanganee we headed to Glen Innes and overnighted at the caravan park there. Next day we headed off to Grafton, but not long after we went through the old convict tunnel a huge storm came up out of the south-west so we gave Nymbodia a miss and headed staight to some cover at Grafton. I remember you talking about the lantana but your pics are amazing. We also thought it was fabulous country and intend going back to explore some more.

Jim
                    2004,GXL V6 Auto. ARB bullbar,IPF 900 spotlights, Milford cargo barrier, GME TX3400UHF, Coupler Tec, Cooper AT3's, Safari Snorkel, Dual batteries, King Springs and Bilsteins.

Comment

Track update:

Over the last couple of weeks (storms) quite a few big trees are down, blocking many of the tracks around the Northern end of this track. You will definitely need a decent chainsaw if you go off the main route.

The ridge top and wind exposed tracks seem to be most affected. i.e. big trees down every 20m or so

Comment

Once again, great info Spurio.

Did you travel that section or have you got a great information source that you could share? I wonder if I should contact you or the information office before the next trip down that way . I know the VIC's are useless for this level of detail.

LFaR.

Comment

Originally posted by LiveFreeAndRoam
                          Did you travel that section or have you got a great information source that you could share...
                          I went through last monday and know a few property owners up that way

The ongoing rain keeps the soil saturated and a bit of wind just knocks everything down, it looks very localised around Woodenbong/Toonumbar

Comment

Top write up LFaR, looks like beaut country to camp in and explore. Hopefully one day my family and I will be able to do both. Living in the NT is starting to get a bit old hat for us, it is a great place to explore but does not offer the same degree of discovery of new places and contrasts apart from a select portion of it in the centre.
                            Roll on the 2010 Pradopoint GTG
                            Pradopoint GTG website:
                            [url="http://www.pradopointgtg.com"]http://www.pradopointgtg.com[/url] (final website location on its own domain)
                            My Weather Station In Alice
                            [url="http://www.alicespringsweather.a60.us/"]http://www.alicespringsweather.a60.us/[/url]
                            My photo website:
                            [url="http://centralian.redbubble.com/"]http://centralian.redbubble.com/[/url]

[img]http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j115/hayesy72/logo-1.jpg[/img]

Comment

Great write up there LFaR, looks like you guys had a great time.
                              Question for you though... where do you store the 30sec tent? Back seats folded down are they :?

Loved the pics, thanks for sharing your travels
                              Cheers, Leon
                              There's no such thing as a wrong turn... it's just the scenic route!
                              1998 VX Grande 95... gone, 2008 GXL 120... almost gone... 2017 GXL 150... blank canvas
                              Optix Photographix

Comment

canli bahis siteleri bahis siteleri ecebet.net
                              mencisport.com
                              antalya escort
                              tsyd.org deneme bonusu veren siteler
                              deneme bonusu veren siteler
                              gaziantep escort
                              gaziantep escort
                              asyabahis maltcasino olabahis olabahis
                              erotik film izle Rus escort gaziantep rus escort
                              atasehir escort tuzla escort