TRIP REPORT :Stirling Ranges. Oz Day Weekend Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TRIP REPORT :Stirling Ranges. Oz Day Weekend Trip

Hi all. Being office junkies, my girlfriend and I decided to get our butts to the top of Mt Toolbranup in the Stirling Ranges located in Wa's deep dark South. First order of the day was to load the Prado. Took several goes to get things loaded in a manner that wasn't going to have us throwing the frying pan at each other each load up time. Last trip was a rush job on loading up and I tell you it was a monumental pain to load up each morning as the Prado load space descended into chaos. My frikkin toothbrush ended up in the Engel and I had old jocks under the drivers seat the entire trip. And I thought road kill smelled bad. :roll: Here's the final cut.

Sorry for the 2 megapixel phone camera images. The budget had to get cut somewhere and I don't particularly like being in photographs anyway. See if you can spot the 4.2 megapixel Canon images.... Bah... the camera phone is just as good!! :roll:

We rolled out of Perth around Midday on Saturday 24th Jan and took a leisurely drive down Albany highway. Laughed at the news reports of the choked up roads around Mandurah. "Poor fools" we thought. The traffic was light and whack job hoons at a minimum. There's plenty of passing lanes on Albany highway these days so tailgaters can soon get their speed fix and you can leave smoke-billowing Kombies far behind with a minimum of fuss. Take the Turn off to Cranbrook and keep rolling onto the Salt River Road which will lead you straight up behind the Stirling Ranges. You'll hit gravel after a couple of miles but the Prado can handle that I'd wager.

We stayed at Trio Park. A farmer has fenced off a few acres at the base of the Stirling Ranges right up by Mt Trio, hence the name. They've built hot showers, a campers kitchen and also a games room with a ping pong table in it! Trees are everywhere so you've got no trouble finding a good spot to set up camp. Here's the road in to Trio Park. The view tells you what you're in for. Pack Weetbix ok. Take it from us.

Set up camp and sit back to enjoy the twilight over the ranges.

Some of the facilities at Trio Park. The shower block. Very important for the ladies. Me, heck I'd just shoo the sheep away from the nearest trough and have a dip but seeing as there's showers about....

Campers Kitchen and the Gamesroom is there behind a flashy camper trailer. Hah! Gimme a tent any day!

Up next Morning and MT Toolbranup beckons! First, some breakfast in the bush. Like I said, damn 2 megapixel Camera Phone! :roll:

With Anticipation building, we set off for MT Toolbranup. MT Toolbranup is the Third highest peak in the Stirling Ranges but is the most difficult to climb. The top is pointed and rocky and creates a very striking view as you drive up to it. Of course, Bluff Knoll is the highest peak but is easily climbed by any old loony in Blundstone boots. Not for kids as there is a lot of scrambling up rock ledges and over large-bouldered scree slopes. An ominous sign lets you know you haven't gotten lost.

As you start the climb, the mountain peak begins to emerge through the tree tops and you realize just how much you've bitten off. Can you chew it??? Seeing your destination loom through the tree tops sorts the men from the boys. There is even a sign part way up basically saying "turn back here if you're a wimp" (Climb becomes difficult from here. Only fit people should go any further). We shouldered arms and battled past the sign trying not to think about it too much.

The sun was merciless! The mountain path filled with treachery! Two intrepid explorers emerged from the forest and gazed upon the mountain's colossal heights. They knew no fear. The mountain sensed defeat, for the explorers were indeed intrepid.

The climb up MT Toolbranup is considered the most difficult and it sure takes it out of you. You start bay walking up a fairly gentle slope through quite a good forested area. You need good footwear though as the path soon turns into loose stones which I think might punish sneakers a little. Steady is the order of the day and you'll make no trouble at all. After a good 20 minutes to 1/2 an hour you'll come to a section of largish scree slope boulders that you need to clamber over. You can't rush here because you'll come a cropper and end up headbutting something you'd really rather not. The trees begin to peter out as you get higher and you're greeted by some imposing cliff faces.

On the way up, don't forget to turn around occasionally to look back. Even the old Camera Phone liked this one.

Once you conquer the boulder scree section you come to the final ascent to the top. This involves quite steep trails and climbing up through washed out crevices in the cliff faces. None if it ever gets precarious but you do need to watch where you put your feet. We took a few rest stops in the last third of the climb because our office-climatised bodies began to protest a little at the constant steep slope climbing. Once you got in a rhythm though it was amazing just how long you could keep going before finding a nice shady ledge to park your behind for a while. If you get up past the scree slopes, for gods sake go all the way to the top! You really won't regret it. The view from the top is simply amazing.

That's Bluff Knoll there in the background with that sharpish peak jutting up into the sky.

You can see that we had quite a bit of haze in the air when we were there. That isn't uncommon in Summer apparently. A lot of it is dust I'd say due to the fact that you're smack in the middle of farming country in Summer time. After rain I'd say would be a good time to climb as the dust in the air would be quite a lot less. We were there in 2004 and went 1/2 way up Mt Trio and you could see that the top on the Mountain was jutting up into the clouds. Freaky stuff but how often do you climb up into the clouds?? This also happened to us at the Porongorups nearby. We walked to the top of one of the peaks there and found ourselves in a dense mist. Not much good for getting a view but I still remember it to this very day.

It took us about 2 and a 1/4 hours to climb to the top of Mt Toolbranup. It's not a big area up there. Maybe tennis court sized. Sat down and had some lunch up there and generally enjoyed the view. It was much easier going down again. Although we did end up with sore feet from the constant pressure you're putting on your toes by going down such a steep slope. Decent footwear! I can't say it enough. Leave the pluggers at home. All up we trundle'd back to the Prado in about 5 hours. That's with a lot of breaks and appreciating the view at the top a while. In all honestly the difficulty of the climb is overstated. You need some level of fitness sure. But if you take your time you'll be just fine. There are around 6 mountains you can Climb in the Stirling Ranges of all difficulties. We read online that many of the others simply don't have a track to the top which is either doable in one day or doesn't require some level of professional skill. The longest climb is Mt Magog which will take you 8 hours. We did that one last year and it is also very rewarding. Stock the fridge with a few coldies though eh. You'll be stuffed when you reach the car again. Unless you're an Ironman...

So here's a view of Mt Toolbranup from Stirling Drive, the scenic road that winds it's way through the Stirling Ranges.

The mark of a good photographer is finding the best places to stop and take photo's. The fact that there's nice shade here has nothing to do with it!!

Like I said. We had a ball there. It's perfect for people just want to get away from it all and leave the city far behind them. The only real issue is which frikkin peak to climb!
    [b]#[/b] 2007 D4D GX [b]#[/b] Full Privacy Tint [b]#[/b] [color=#FF0000][b] Flinders Red [/b][/color] [b]#[/b] 2 x HID LightForce 240 Blitz [b]#[/b] ARB Winch Bar [b]#[/b] Alloy Rims [b]#[/b] Hilux Washer Jets [b]#[/b] Stebel Nautilus Compact Truck Horn [b]#[/b] ARB Alloy Roof Rack [b]#[/b] ARB Dual Battery System [b]#[/b] Charcoal Rough Country Canvas Seat Covers [b]#[/b] [color=#0000FF]Suspension:[/color]Autocraft Bilstein Shocks/Struts & Ridepro Coils [b]#[/b] [color=#0000FF]L.E.D[/color] Side Marker Lights [b]#[/b] ARB Onboard Air [b]#[/b] Pirelli Scorpion LT ATR 265/70's [b]#[/b][color=#0080FF]--Custom 3"exhaust---[/color]

Re: Stirling Ranges. Oz Day Weekend Trip

Wow that looks great, I have found the website and will hopefully get down there for a look myself later in the year.

Thanks Iron-Paww

Neil
    White 2013 GXL 79 series dual cab, ARB GVM Upgrade, ARB Delux winch bar and scrub bars, GME TX3440 and much more to come

Comment

Re: TRIP REPORT :Stirling Ranges. Oz Day Weekend Trip

Killer view

Mick
      [CENTER][B][I][SIZE=1][COLOR=blue]1KZ-TE Turbo Diesel, 5 speed manual, 3.5 inch lift, 265/70/17 Mickey Thompson MTZ, D-Tronic chip, Boost controller, mandrel exhaust, dump pipe, modified intake, ARB steel bar, Magnum winch, Safari snorkel, rear drawers, half cargo barrier, dual batteries, Uniden UHF, Sat Nav, reverse camera, Magellan XL , Tjm bash plates, ARB alloy roof rack, rear telescopic work light and numerous other modifications!!!
      Now with 3BAR MAP sensor & 18PSI Boost![/COLOR][/SIZE][/I][/B][/CENTER]

Comment

Crikey IP, That's the neatest packed Prado I've ever seen, did you get someone in to do it :P
        Looks like a great place to visit, pity it's so far away.
        Dobbo
        2014 Black GXL D4D Auto with a few add ons.

Comment

Fantastic pics, bet you enjoyed the few days off. Love the photos.
          SSSHHHH be very very quiet were huntin wabbits.

Comment

IRON-PAWW... with a full load like that you really ought to invest in a Cargo Barrier! :shock:

Beaut trip report and photos so far. :wink:
            [B][SIZE=4]ntp
            [/SIZE][/B][COLOR=#000040][B][SIZE=1]Love the Outback............. Love my Prado.[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]
            [I][SIZE=1][URL="http://i520.photobucket.com/albums/w328/ntpryce/Picture23.png"]My Prado[/URL][/SIZE][/I], [I][SIZE=1][URL="http://i520.photobucket.com/albums/w328/ntpryce/MyExtras.png"]My Extras[/URL][/SIZE][/I]
            [B]4wdriving First Party[/B][COLOR=#0000ff] - [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#0000ff]dןǝɥ ɹoɟ ןןɐɔ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı[/COLOR][/B]

Comment

Yep Trio Park is a great little spot there's no doubt. The owner of the farming property will often come around in the evenings to chat with all the campers. His name was John and he had his young daughter with him too saying hello to all the campers. They are real genuine people and what they've done is a credit to them. Being a farmer of old we chatted a bit about his canola crop! Well you gotta drive past his recently harvested paddock so I was interested. It won't be everyone's cup of tea as it really is out in the sticks and the facilities are basic but well functioning and maintained. Also, there is only one shower in each bathroom plus one in the disabled bathroom. If it got busy there you might need to wait a little to get a shower. However, there was only one other family there the whole time (2 nights) we were there. We sat by our tent and spotted kangaroos, bats, possums, and a fox with our LED Lenser P7's. Had a ball I can tell you. I think kids would love it there.

Of course I packed the Prado!! You think I'm going to let another fool pack a frying pan under my drivers seat with the jocks from the last trip??? Last trip really wasn't packed all too well and I thought I could do much better this time around. I think with more practice we'll go from zero to relax in 15 - 20 minutes. We need good sleeping bags though as currently mine is like 15 years old and my girlfriend doesn't even have one. We took an old doona and sheets for her and it was a frikkin pain to set up. Add sleeping bags to the list.... along with the 20 other things already there. And yes we really should have a cargo barrier there but unfortunately the next on the list is suspension and then a house. So might be a wile before we get one. Might look at a roof pod or rack to get some of that stuff out of the cargo area too.

We had a ball in the Stirlings. For a weekender it's a perfect trip for People in WA. People with kids can look at Bluff Knoll which is a much easier climb than Mt Toolbranup. The other family we bumped into had kids of 7 or 8 and were climbing Bluff Knoll on advice of others. The mountains just come up out of flat farming land and it looks almost other worldly. Good spot.

More to come in the Trip Report.
              [b]#[/b] 2007 D4D GX [b]#[/b] Full Privacy Tint [b]#[/b] [color=#FF0000][b] Flinders Red [/b][/color] [b]#[/b] 2 x HID LightForce 240 Blitz [b]#[/b] ARB Winch Bar [b]#[/b] Alloy Rims [b]#[/b] Hilux Washer Jets [b]#[/b] Stebel Nautilus Compact Truck Horn [b]#[/b] ARB Alloy Roof Rack [b]#[/b] ARB Dual Battery System [b]#[/b] Charcoal Rough Country Canvas Seat Covers [b]#[/b] [color=#0000FF]Suspension:[/color]Autocraft Bilstein Shocks/Struts & Ridepro Coils [b]#[/b] [color=#0000FF]L.E.D[/color] Side Marker Lights [b]#[/b] ARB Onboard Air [b]#[/b] Pirelli Scorpion LT ATR 265/70's [b]#[/b][color=#0080FF]--Custom 3"exhaust---[/color]

Comment

next time your going there bud give us a hoy, wanna test the Taj Mahal soon
                [B]My 2007 D4D [COLOR=darkred]Flinders Red[/COLOR] Buildup[/B] - [URL="http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread.php?13590-Golly-s-Flinders-Red-D4D-GXL"] HERE[/URL] :cool:
                [B][COLOR=navy]K[COLOR=red]D[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=darkorange]L[/COLOR] Designs[/B] (Designer for the 2009 GTG Banner) - [URL="http://kdldesigns.net/index.php/banners"] HERE[/URL] ;)

Comment

Originally posted by IRON-PAWW
                  We sat by our tent and spotted kangaroos, bats, possums, and a fox with our LED Lenser P7's. Had a ball I can tell you. I think kids would love it there.
                  I feel sorry for them animals ~ I still remember the time I looked into the beam of the Led Lenser P7 just to gauge how bright it really was. :roll:

Originally posted by IRON-PAWW
                  We need good sleeping bags though as currently mine is like 15 years old and my girlfriend doesn't even have one.
                  Don't tell me this is how you first met? :shock: :lol: :lol:
                  [B][SIZE=4]ntp
                  [/SIZE][/B][COLOR=#000040][B][SIZE=1]Love the Outback............. Love my Prado.[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]
                  [I][SIZE=1][URL="http://i520.photobucket.com/albums/w328/ntpryce/Picture23.png"]My Prado[/URL][/SIZE][/I], [I][SIZE=1][URL="http://i520.photobucket.com/albums/w328/ntpryce/MyExtras.png"]My Extras[/URL][/SIZE][/I]
                  [B]4wdriving First Party[/B][COLOR=#0000ff] - [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#0000ff]dןǝɥ ɹoɟ ןןɐɔ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı[/COLOR][/B]

Comment

What a great view from the top :!: How long in the climb?
                    It's great stuff from the farmer to open his land up to campers like that... hats off to the bloke
                    Cheers, Leon
                    There's no such thing as a wrong turn... it's just the scenic route!
                    1998 VX Grande 95... gone, 2008 GXL 120... almost gone... 2017 GXL 150... blank canvas
                    Optix Photographix

Comment

Updated. I have some more photo's if you want to see them. But that's a good look at the trip.

We'll certainly be going back there to climb another of the peaks. Maybe we'll do the touristy Bluff Knoll next although you're supposed to pay 10 bucks at a gate on the way in. It's an honor system though so I'm not sure how many people actually do it.

The climb took us just over 5 hours to complete. And that's with very run of the mill fitness. You could do it quicker if you pushed but I'm not sure how much fun that'd be. You need time to look at the view too! It's not like you're just going to spend 5 minutes at the top and then start going down again..... :roll: Official brochures list it as a 4.5 hour trip.

It'd be a good PradoPoint long weekender I'd reckon. Perfect for testing out any camping gear as Trio Park has enough facilities to get you by if the Primus ends up in the Stratosphere....... :lol: If I'm heading back that way I'll let you guys know. The more the merrier!

Actually NTP I should tell you that the temperature rating of some sleeping bags actually gets better if you buy two and zip them together. Now. As I see it. This is either because you're sharing body heat or because errrrrrrr you're generating more of it......... :wink:

Comment

Some good pics there IRON-PAWW, even the camera phone ones. :wink: :lol:
                        [B][SIZE=4]ntp

Comment

Yeah it's funny but the camera shots seem to have "seen" further to the horizon that we actually could on the day. The haze was really quite thick and obscured a lot of the view getting towards the horizon. I'm sure I couldn't see things as well as the phone camera ended up being able to. What I really need is a mid range snappy camera for shots like that. My Girlfriend is more into photography than I am and is thinking about getting a DSLR camera. Lucky she has a better job than I do and can pay for it! Anyone know of a decent slim design camera for $200-$300??

Comment

That is a neatly packed Prado Iron Paww, nothing more satisfying than getting everything in is there?!
                            Loved the commentary on the write up!
                            2000 TD RV
                            Bent sidesteps
                            The odd scratch and dent

Comment

Yeah Slug I made a real art piece out of the packed gear in the back this time around. As it was just the two of us we put our clothes bags on the back seat for access at any time. We could change into jeans or shorts or whatever at any time with a minimum of fuss. Amazing how many people seem to get changed in carparks these days. It's just something that travelers do. It made the trip sooo much better because each item had it's spot and was easily packed exactly where it should go. No clanking pots as we went over rough ground and no annoying rattles! Our pillows even doubled as extra insulation for the Engel. I think with a little more practice we could get our set up and pack up times right down. But there's nothing like being a bit casual to let your worries float away... 8)

Comment

canli bahis siteleri bahis siteleri ecebet.net
                              mencisport.com
                              antalya escort
                              tsyd.org deneme bonusu veren siteler
                              deneme bonusu veren siteler
                              gaziantep escort
                              gaziantep escort
                              asyabahis maltcasino olabahis olabahis
                              erotik film izle Rus escort gaziantep rus escort
                              atasehir escort tuzla escort
                              sikis sex hatti