Cape York, 2010 W/ Dirty Weekends & MAXTRAX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cape York, 2010 W/ Dirty Weekends & MAXTRAX

For the past several months I have been working for an Australian company and planing a large convention in the US (SEMA). I was given the opportunity go 'down under' to help film a commercial and the first in a series of DVD about off-roading for OZ release.

The trip started with the day in New York city before leaving from JFK. I took Julie, Kennedy & my Mom to Ellis Island, the Statue of Liberty, Coney Island, and was able to watch the practice for the Red Bull Air Races in the Hudson River. It was un believable how fast they fly the course.

For this trip I was able to get booked onto the Airbus A-380 the largest commercial air liner flying. I am amazed by this aircraft. the Economy seats are as large as business class on other airliners, there is an iPod connector, and the touch screen entertainment system was twice as large as in the older 747's. There were over 60 movies ranging from Academy Award winners, Australia themed movies, and new releases. I watched From Paris With Love, Edge Of Darkness, Braveheart, and several episodes of M*A*S*H, and Top Gear, and a kids movie that I won't mention.

Saturday didn't exist for me. We headed from Friday directly into Sunday crossing the international date line around midnight

Sunday, June 20, 2010

I arrived in Melbourne only to have problems in customs due to not having a physical address in Australia. My Mate was picking me up at the airport and we were hitting the trail directly. We finely agreed to put a campground along the way where I can check in for messages if there was a problem with my entry. I met some old Mates (Peter & Liesel) who are from Melbourne. I gave them some congratulate baby shower gifts and swapped some DVD's we have talked about. I was able to be upgraded to business class, so here I am just off a plane with no shower, no deodorant, and smelling like a Rio Tinto mine worker sitting in first class. I didn't [s]fit in[/s]smell to well; at least to myself. I talked to the businessman next to me and talked about the places I have been, the PP GTG '09, and the trip I was about to embark on. He told me that i have been places not even 5% of locals had gone and said he waned to take a trip like that for some time.

I arrived at Cairns, Qld. and was amazed at how beautiful it was. The town resembles Montego Bay, Jamaica in look and feel. There are warm breezes blowing from the Great Barrier Reef and into the maintains creating beautiful upslope clouds at the peaks. I got my Adventure Case & swag and came out to a precession of 3 dirty Land Cruiser 105's (sneery no Prado's this time), the MAXTRAX LC towing a trailer, and all covered in bull dust. Drivers were Brad McCarthy (of Dirty Weekends and MAXTRAX), Ben (Lizard!), and Rob, with them were Pete, Peter, James, and Ben's step son Will. We took off straight into the bush for the Cape York adventure. Once we were on the road we met many similar vehicles all headed up the Cape, and limo's with trailers heading to the posh resorts along the Great Barrier Reef. Once on the way Brad told me he had something I had to see in the trailer and we will break it out later. We traveled up the coast road through the Daintree National Park where the rain forests meet the Coral Sea. The shores are rough and there were turn off's at every switchback to overlook the Great Barrier Reef. The wind was blowing a hard warm air on shore with a chop over the coves and large slop onto the white beaches.

We pulled into a road side stop to look at the beach. First thing noticed was the warning signs for marine stingers, and salt water crocks. Coconut palms lined the beaches and the fallen fruit eaten by rats leaving empty husks. We returned to the truck to unload the contents. It was a completely restored 1942 Ford GP from WW II. We fired it up and shuffled around drivers for the Land Cruisers and took off. The Jeep was hard to drive due to the large flat steering wheel and of course nothing power on it and the drum brakes were almost non existent. We drove through the rain forests with the windscreen down and no seat belts able to see everything, everywhere, and all around us. As the sun set we headed into the bush using the old head lights. After several kilometers something blew and the headlights went out. We continued down the dirt track with a hand held spottie until we blew a tyre on the track and had to swap it out for a spare 500 Meters short of the Lions Den Hotel (actually a campground) for some long awaited XXXX Beer and Bundy's & Coke. We got a little comfortable and ordered several XXXX's from the nyce (and I do mean nyce) Canadian backpacker working the bar. We set up camp and left the jeep repair until morning.

Monday, June 21, 2010

We awoke on the second day to a heavy dew (its like a slow steady rain) that occurs in the rain forests from the warm moist upsloping air cooling over the mountains. We packed up and were unable to fix the lights on the Jeep and headed back into the rainforest.

1942 Ford GP 4X4

After traveling for several kilometers we came across Black Mountain It is an amazing natural feature made from black granite boulders pushed up from deep in the earth. There are stories about expeditions that have attempted to journey into the center and those who have not returned. You can take a hammer and hit each stone and it will reverberate through the stone with a different tone for each rock. We didn't climb it, but ran into numerous lizards and spiders running around the rocks.

Black Mountain

Great Barrier Reef from Grass Hill, Cooktown, QLD

Endeavor River from Grass Hill, Cooktown, QLD

We headed into Cooktown, Qld. Possibly the most famous town on Cape York. It was here that in 1770 Captain Cook ran into a reef in the Endeavor. They were able to pull it back with a basic hand winch and broke off a piece of the reef in the hole that actually saved the ship from sinking. They crippled the ship several kilometers north to a river (now named the Endeavor River) and beached her to make repairs. We climbed Grassy Hill where Captain Cook looked out over the Great Barrier Reef to map a route to open ocean. The views were tremendous, but obscured by the waves of the strong winds. We stocked up at the local IGA with some Kangaroo meat, lollies (gummy snacks and anything that isn't chocolate), and chocolate then head off on paved roads to the Development road. Essentially a long dirt highway. We passed Laura, and to the Musgrave Roadhouse an old telegraph station from the 1880's when stations like this linked Australia with the British Empire through Asia. Now they sell gas, drinks, lollies, and burgers like "The Lot" burger (beef patty, cheese, lettuce, tomato, pickled beets, rashers, pineapple slice, and a fried egg with barbie sauce). We filled up out tanks and stomachs and headed North to the small town of Cohen. There is a pub there, the Exchange Hotel (actually a Pub), that some joker put an "S" in front of the name and this the legend of the SExchange Hotel was born. We continued north passing the Archer River Roadhouse (They are the ONLY buildings and are spread out about every 70-150 kilometers for gas and supplies). We stopped at a major intersection and road towards the Coral Sea and ditched the trailer in the bush to pick it up on the return trip due to the rough tracks we will encounter.

Lot burger

SExchange Motel

That night we stopped to camp along the Wenlock River in the Batavia Gold Fields. We made a late camp and barely made it due to the headlights still being out on the Jeep we had to replace the tube on the flat tyre, and repair the shifting linkage on the transmission. Before hitting the RTT's & swags we went to the river and shined our spotties in. There were flashed of gold everywhere in the river and decided to go in for a little panning. We found gold flakes, but they were too small to accumulate any serious amount of gold. I'm sure if we spent a day of hunting we could of found a nugget worth talking back. Perhaps next time.    

Panning for gold

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

We left before sunrise to get into Lockhart River early enough to pick up the fill crew for the commercial we were filming for MAXTRAX. Some headed off into Lockhart River and the old UA ARRMY Coerps of Engeneers WW II airport, I headed to Chili Beach with several others to scout locations for the film shoot. When we arrived we found a tropical paradise. Kilometers of white sands with coconut palms reaching out over the water among mahogany trees with the twisted roots, among fallen coconuts, and other debris that washed on shore. We walked the beach in an attempt to pick coconuts, but had no idea what we were doing. I popped one off of a tree with a 2X4 that washed ashore, but had a hard time opening it with my leatherman. After we picked a filming location we made an attempt to clean up some of the beach. That afternoon we headed into the Lockhart River Aboriginal Community. There was a gas pump there and a store for supplies so we can stay put for several days in the Portland Roads Beach Shack we rented.

Chili Beach, QLD

We arrived in Portland Roads, a small town that had about 20-30 people and a hobby restaurant that was open by appointment only. The town is on the edge of the Great Barrier Reef and touches the mainland there. We unloaded the trucks and walked out onto the reef. I was told to watch out for stonefish and not to walk onto any rocks that looked like a fish. If you strep on a stone fish you die in less than a half hour. The nearest hospital was about a day away. I don't think I was ever more scared in my life. I walked slowly and got chills down my spine with every step onto rock. We walked over rocks that were almost exposed to the low tine and as we stepped we could see the large clams in purple, pink, & teal close seconds before placing our foot on them. We made it to the edge of the reef just Meters from large vessels in deep water fishing for reef trout and prawns. We didn't find anything worth spearing so walked back to the old jetty that was the remains of a NAVY pier for the US base that was there during WW II.

We walked along the beach to the edge of Restoration Island. This is the Island that Captain Bligh and his men first made landfall to gather supplies after the mutiny on the Bounty in 1789. They loaded up on fresh water, muscles, and other food the island provided before heading off to Timor. We returned back to the beach shack for kangaroo steaks and Scotch.

Restoration Island

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

We headed to Chili Beach to clean up the filming locations to make the beach pristine for the shoot. We collected coconuts that washed ashore, and palm frams to hide the jeep deep in the jungle for the commercial. The film crew set up and we waited.

The talent arrived later that morning. They were two Polynesians, Charlie and Maurice, both in island dress. in between takes we learned a lot about the coconuts 4 stages, when to eat, how to husk, and how to crack open to keep the coconut water. Charlie had a talent that he can husk a coconut in 20 seconds with his teeth and we put him to the test to see if this wes true...it was.

I know the commercial will show in Australia and during SEMA in Las Vegas this November, but will try to post it here when it's on YouTube.

That afternoon we headed off to the next day's filming location on Chili Beach to clean it up for the shoot. Then headed back to the Portland Roads Beach Shack exhausted from the day. That night after dinner we watched the dailies to see all the takes.

View from the Portland Roads Beach Shack

Thursday, June 24, 2010

We headed off to the second filming location early before high tide cut us off from the beach entrance. As I drove onto the beach the tide came in and we had to drive the jeep in the salt water and over tree roots further on shore. When I drove through the surf the moving water would suck the 'skinnies' into the soft sand so we had to have several of the guys on hand to push the jeep as she slowed down. We made it to the filming location where we set up the vehicle and other aspects then cleaned the beach of seaweed and other debris. I picked up one clump of seaweed and unknowingly picked up a blue button jellyfish. It gave me a slight sting that felt more like a burn from a hot pot or a stove. It only lasted about several minutes and didn't bother me much after that.

We filmed for the remainder of the day and picked more coconuts for the rest of the trip. We took the talent and the film crew to the airport and back into Lockhart River Aboriginal Community to top off gas for the next day's trail run to the Old Lockhart River Mission. That evening we headed back to the Beach House to look into dinner. We met the owner of a posh catamaran that was shored at the beach and borrowed his dingy to make it to the large fishing vessels to see what we can trade for some Aussies to be used for their drinking fund. We ended up with two beautiful Coral Trout, and 5 Kilos (about 11 Lbs.) of prawns (shrimp) for a mere $55 Aussies (about $44 USD). We got some other fish, but couldn't remember for the life of me what they were. We grilled the coral trout with lemon and 1/2 of the prawns with garlic and butter and left the remaining to steam with lemon (no Old Bay in OZ). I must say that it is the best fish I have ever eaten....period!

I rolled my glutinous azz into bed completely satisfied.

Friday, June 25, 2010

This morning we set out onto the Old Lockhart Mission Track with the guy's from the trip, Mick from the catamaran, and his dog Speedy Gonzales. This is a 61 Kilometer track down to the beach through the old track. This track is used only several times through the year to an old mission that tried to convert the Aboriginal through the 70's and now is an abandoned track of the worst river crossings and most beautiful scenery in the area. There are eucalyptus forests, river planes, sand fields, rocky hills, and all this ending on the beach with the most amazing views of the reef and surrounding islands. We walked the beach and found several shell fish and a large blue crab that became Mick's dinner that night.

We headed back just before sunset and it was my task to drive the Jeep. As it got darker I drove ahead of the group to get to the main road before it got completely dark. I was able to drive by the moon light and was doing well until the other vehicles caught up to me. I was blinded by their high beams in an attempt to light the trail for me. I was able to run through the river crossings easily in the light Jeep and made it through a narrow section tracking with the front wheels but the rear passenger wheel (remember this is a US Jeep) fell into a deep wash out. we are able to get it out with a set of MAXTRAX and continued gingerly on our way.

Just before the trail ended we came to one of the many water crossings. There was a Hi-Lux with road tyres in the center of the river. He had a hand winch to the rear of the vehicle and was completely stuck. We got out as the other Land Cruisers arrived. We pulled out 2 sets of MAXTRAX and made easy work of the Hi-Lux. While we were packing up the hand winch he said that he was there for the past 5 hours and was prepairing to sleep in the truck. It's good to know he was able to make it out for a Friday night. Lord only knows how long it would of taken him to walk out the next morning. If the Aboriginals would of gotten to his vehicle before it was recovered he would of had it stripped of any usable parts in no time. We made it back to Portland Roads to make or appointment at the only restaurant in several hundred kilometers and I must admit it's probably the best steak I have ever had, second to the one I had at the Breakky Creek in Brissy last year. The grass feed beef is far better than the corn fed beef we eat here.

Saturday, June 26, 2010

We had the beach shack for another night but was itching to hit the Frenchman's Track on the way to the tip. We back tracked through the Iron Range and to the Frenchman's Track. Upon hitting the trailhead there were trail reports posted on the trees of everyone who made it or didn't make it and reasons why.

As the trail started one of the Land Cruisers lost a rear view mirror due to the large corrugations. The first several kilometers were quite easy and scenic overlooking Iron Range National Park. There were several wash outs that were easy in the Land Cruiser 105 I was driving at the time. We approached the Pascoe River and found a Hi-Lux Surf stuck in the middle of the river (again). He was unable to get up the bank and we had to back up the steep incline to let him by. This poor bastard decided to take the trail without a snorkel and a rice burner cone air filter. We had to open the hood and place a water barrier to keep him from sucking in water throughout he intake that was flying from the cooling fan. We got him out with a set of MAXTRAX and used another set to get him up the steep incline to get out of the area to finish the Frenchman's track. The driver and his girlfriend stuck around to help us cross as a crowd of off-roaders were gathering on the shore to watch the low Jeep make it through the Pascoe. It was decided to let me go through first in the Land Cruiser and be waiting on the other bank with a snatch strap in case the Jeep gets bogged.

We put the canvas top over the hood of the Jeep to slow down the the rush of water into the engine bay and intake that didn't have a snorkel or modified intake; just the wet filter that was from the 40's. As the Jeep rolled into the river the water went up and to the hood and the engine cut out immediately. I backed up the LC into the river and James attached the snatch strap to the bumper by wrapping it around the frame. I pulled the Jeep out of the Pascoe and attempted the steep climb up the shore. I was unable to pull it and the drivers watching were giving me a hard time about needing to use a winch. The MAXTRAX LC doesn't have a winch, so James climbed the bank with a set of MAXTRAX and placed them in the hole I was digging out with the rear tyres. I gunned it and made it up the hill with torque to spare. Might I add that the Land Cruisers turbocharged 6 cylinder in line is a torquey beast. When we got to the top of the hill the front bumper was almost torn off the Jeep and the frame was bent. We cleared to the side of the trail to check out the damage.

We decided to pull it out to the end of the Frenchman's Trail about 42 kilometers so we can get to a road to access the trailer that was hidden in the scrub several kilometers away. We stated towing this time using a tree saver strap as a bridle to ease the stress on the frame. We were able to make it to the Wenlock River well after sunset and due to the lack of bush camping site  had to cross the river and up the steep river bank to camp on the other side. After several attempts to make it up the steep and muddy bank we decided to unhook the Jeep from the LC and winch up the Jeep to prevent more damage in the bumper & frame. All the campers came out to see what was happening even several that watch the Jeep (now affectionately named Wet Willy) drown in the Pascoe. We made camp late with plans to start early.

Stay tuned for parts 2 & 3.

-Ben
    "Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia" (Charles Schultz)

I have a 2007 FJ Cruiser (An American knock-off 120) Considerably built up.

I am also a Founding Father of the FJ Bruisers, FJ Cruiser club, in Washington D.C.
    Check us out....
    [url]http://www.fjbruisers.com[/url]
    Our discussion forum....
    [url]http://www.fjbruisers.org/forum/[/url]

[img]http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j115/hayesy72/logo-1.jpg[/img]

Re: Cape York, 2010 W/ Dirty Weekends & MAXTRAX

Reserved for part 2
    "Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia" (Charles Schultz)

I am also a Founding Father of the FJ Bruisers, FJ Cruiser club, in Washington D.C.
    Check us out....
    Our discussion forum....

Comment

Reserved for part 3.

Check us out....
      Our discussion forum....

Comment

Awesome, looking forward to the next installment

Mick
        [CENTER][B][I][SIZE=1][COLOR=blue]1KZ-TE Turbo Diesel, 5 speed manual, 3.5 inch lift, 265/70/17 Mickey Thompson MTZ, D-Tronic chip, Boost controller, mandrel exhaust, dump pipe, modified intake, ARB steel bar, Magnum winch, Safari snorkel, rear drawers, half cargo barrier, dual batteries, Uniden UHF, Sat Nav, reverse camera, Magellan XL , Tjm bash plates, ARB alloy roof rack, rear telescopic work light and numerous other modifications!!!
        Now with 3BAR MAP sensor & 18PSI Boost![/COLOR][/SIZE][/I][/B][/CENTER]

Comment

Top read Ben.Brings back a lot of memories of my trip up to the cape two years ago.My avatar is a shot of me crossing Nolans Creek on that trip
          04 GXL 3L TD Toyota Bullbar 2"TJM lift TJM OX hyd winch Blackwidow draws 40LT Engel dual batteries Mickey Thompson ATZ's Steinbauer P Box Airtek snorkel (colour coded)
          Its now gone sad to say but enjoying the replacement LC200 with a BIG list of bits to add.Lifted pre rego

Comment

Ben,

You are one lucky S O B.

Top write up and cant wait to see the advert.. That Jeep looks awesome on the beach, One pic looks as if the drivers have army greens and helmets on.?

Jeff.
            Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
            W. C. Fields (1880 - 1946)

Comment

Ben,
              You are starting to piss me off - you are seeing more of Oz than I am lately.
              An absolutely great report. I note your lean Simpson Desert look has evaporated.
              Sorry I could not catch you for a beer on this visit.
              I look forward to your part two and three.
              Callo
              Callo
              Dune 2003 Grande Diesel Auto.
              [color=#FF0000]Life is not a dress rehearsal. - Never argue with a man who is shouting. - If it rains on your special day, take an umbrella.[/color]

Comment

Great read so far Ben... looking forward to the rest of it

I believe I see some 'non-signature-orange' MAXTRAX there :? .... do tell
                Cheers, Leon
                There's no such thing as a wrong turn... it's just the scenic route!
                1998 VX Grande 95... gone, 2008 GXL 120... almost gone... 2017 GXL 150... blank canvas
                Optix Photographix

Comment

Thanks guy's. I will have to find time to finish the story and go through the 4,500+ photos we all took.

Originally posted by Callo
                  Ben,
                  You are starting to piss me off - you are seeing more of Oz than I am lately.
                  An absolutely great report. I note your lean Simpson Desert look has evaporated.
                  Sorry I could not catch you for a beer on this visit.
                  I look forward to your part two and three.
                  Callo
                  Ian,

It would of been great to meet up and catch up. I came into the trip a few pounds more than when i left the GTG last year and kept off the 20 of the lbs I lost. The last 10 seem to fluctuate here and there, but were gone by the end of the trip so i'm about the same weight I was when I left last year.

Originally posted by Snaga
                  Great read so far Ben... looking forward to the rest of it

I believe I see some 'non-signature-orange' MAXTRAX there :? .... do tell
                  I can't tell much, but I can tell you tat those are black MAXTRAX spray pained to match the Jeep. If you look closely the bottoms are still black.

MAXTRAX can be made in custom colors with a minimum order, and have come in colors as the classic orange, black, tan, and even pink for a special run for a breast research organization. If there is an official announcement I will repost it here and never leave you guys in the dark.

-Ben

Check us out....
                  Our discussion forum....

Comment

Hi Ben
                    I didn't know it was you guys but we were both at Wepia Camp Ground at the same time!! I saw the Jeep and the Maxtrax Cruiser there. I was camped infront of reception on the beach, silver 150 with a set of Maxtrax strapped to the roof rack!! We also passed you guys a few times on the track. I won't spoil it, but I heard some fun was had by you guys on the first crossing, Palm Creek. Can't wait for the pics. If I knew it was you guys I would of come over a had a beer. Good to see you had fun.
                    Peter
                    [color=#4000FF]2010 GXL, ARB BAR, GOODYEAR MTR'S ON STEEL RIMS, CUSTOM REAR DRAWERS, DUAL BATTERIES, CARGO BARRIER, GME UHF, RHINO ROOF RACK, ROCK SLIDERS, AIRTEC SNORKEL, DUAL DROP FRIDGE SLIDES[/color]

Comment

Sunday, June 27 2010

We woke up early and hooked up the jeep to tow on to the end of the Frenchman's Track. It was a slow journey, but gave us the opportunity to see some of the bush animals such as wallaby's, cockatoo's, eagles (Wedgie's), and gallars. We made it by late morning to the Development road and sent out Lizard to retrieve the Jeep trailer in his Land Cruiser. We started with some minor repairs on the MAXTRAX Land Cruiser (brake pad swap). We then focused our efforts on the dead Jeep. We drained the engine oil, transmission, transfer case, both diffs, pulled the plugs and turned over the engine to blow the water out of the cylinders. The good thing was that the engine was turning and nothing appeared broken or bent. We pulled off the front bumper and ran over it several times in the Land Cruiser to get it flat and pounded out the ripples. A little somewhat matching spray paint was applied to make it barely noticeable. When we attempted to bolt it to the frame the (US) passenger side was about 2" off from the bolt holes. I used a HiLift jack to spread the frame apart to match the bolt holes until Pete was able to get the bolts into the holes.

Lizard showed up with the trailer as we were finishing up draining the Jeep's fluids. We loaded up the dead and empty Jeep and took it several kilometers up the development road to Moreton Telegraph Station (now a remote campground) and left the trailer and Jeep to avoid damage as we diverted to Wiepa to get the vital engine fluids to complete the trip. On the way back to the others Brad and I spotted a dingo cross the development road. We took off into the bush to chase it down for several pics. When we arrived to the others without Wet WIllie we left the development road, across to Wiepa through the Steve Irwin Preserve. There were numerous dingo's, Wedgies, and birds of all sorts along the way to the Rio Tinto mining town of Wiepa. We made it onto the campground a little before sunset and pitched out RTT's & swags then headed to the showers for the first time in days. We put on clean clothes and headed into town for some XXXX & fish N' chips.

Dingo Spotting

Steve Irwin National Preserve

Wedgies

Monday, June 28, 2010

We were so spoiled at the campground that I went to the showers again the following morning before heading into town. One group hit the Woolworth's for more supplies (lolly's, chocolate, and soda) and Brad, James, & I found the gas station to get some engine oil, gear oil, and rubber shock bushings to replace the ones we broke on the Frenchman's trail. We also got some wire, fuse holder, and a switch to re-wire the headlights. We met up with the others and headed out to back track to the Moreton Telegraph Station and reclaim the Jeep in the trailer and set off North again on the Development road. We traveled about 50 Kilometers North to the Bramwell Junction Road House where we stopped to pull out the Jeep and attempt to get her running, we filled up the engine oil, sprayed out the cylinders with WD-40 and cranked her several times to dry it out. We put the plugs back in and she took a little time, but she fired up. She ran a little rough and it took some time to get the #4 cylinder running with the rest. We had to keep pulling the plug and clean off all the carbon deposits. We found the problem to be a collection of fluid in the bottom of the distributor where the points for the #4 cylinder ran. We let her run for a while and she ran rather well for what she had been through. We stored the trailer in the rear of the Road House and set off on the famous Old Telegraph Trail. We drove for several kilometers and stopped again so James (the miracle mechanic) flush out all the milky engine oil, drain the transmission, transfer case, & diffs, flush out with diesel fuel and refilled with gear oil. We traveled several more kilometers before stopping at sunset to set up camp. While Lizard cooked up some fish N' garlic chips I re-wired the headlights straight to the battery and the little old Jeep was almost as good as what we started with at the beginning of the trip. Thank you James. We would of taken 2 days to do what you did in about 4 hours.

That evening was full of wild life. That evening a large white owl kept moving around branches and watch us. We were able to get several close up pictures of him. That night we were all awoken about 3:AM by the howling of a pack of dingo's. they sounded to be about 1/2 mile away and we all quickly went back to sleep. We were awoken again a half hour later by the same pack howling several meters away from the campsite. about a half hour later we heard the same pack howling further down the track. They had the same howl and sounds like that of a wolf, however had a different song. I fell asleep right after the two first howls, so when I awoke each time it sounded like they were traveling at a fast pace down the old telegraph track.

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

We woke early to walk to the river to find two buried MAXTRAX that were left behind when helping someone cross the river that night. This crossing was so fun we all went back to do it again. This day was full of some of the most beautiful scenery I have seen to date. There were many water crossings of varying depths and some were quite long. The most famous of these crossings Is The Gunshot. It makes the Old Telegraph Trail one way due to the steep banks on the South side of the trail. The old crossing is almost impassable now due to the steepness that can flip almost any vehicle.  An off-shoot was built that is still steep and when we arrived a Nissan Patrol with an off-road camper was stuck on. Several minutes later it was freed with several blokes and some shovels. The Jeep made it with flying colors with a crown of fellow off-roaders watching in amazement. The three LC's made it with some slight articulation issues creating a scary moment for Rob and Lizard.

We traveled by one of the most scenic billabongs on the cape. I have no idea if it's a normal billabong, ugly billabong, or common for The Cape, but beautiful enough to just stop and look at it.

That afternoon we stopped at Fruit Bat falls. It is a shallow flat rock creek that has eroded to the waterfall and has taken million of years to get to this point. The slow moving creek rushed into a wild waterfall and gave us an opportunity to clean up after a dusty two days on the trail. There were large rocks that broke off of the river floor to create seats for a perfect waterfall back massage.

The time here was short lived because we wanted to fit in another natural spectacle, Elliot Falls. As we walked to the river Will commented on how the place smelled like a bird cage. As we approached the river there were thousands of fruit bats hanging in the trees that were about the size of large birds or small sea gulls. There was constant movement above as they all sifted positions when one bat would get to close to another. Sometimes there was a flushing of several that took flight to find another spot to rest in the sun. This waterfall was created by the same flat rock creek bed, but created a deep gorge to channel the water into a slight rapid. There was a shelf to the edge of the waterfall and some of us were able to crawl into the void under the waterfall to watch the water rush into a large whirlpool that sucked deep into the rock face. We all jumped in to float down the river to the point where the warmer water of the twin falls flowed in.  We climbed up the small waterfall to a warm water pool where a larger pool above flowed into. There were several families swimming and relaxing in the warm water like it was the desert oasis of the Cape. This is truly a spectacle to see and a must for anyone traveling up The Cape.

We switched drivers and headed out onto the Old Telegraph Trail again traveling through deep creeks, over tree trunk bridges and make it to the Jardene River by sunset. One of the water crossings got quite deep and the chunky GY Wranglers sunk deep into the creek and I slowed to a stop flooding out Brads LC. We rushed for the MAXTRAX as the water rushed in through every seal on the truck. When we arrived at the Jardine River Brad walked out into the river and found that his feet were sinking as quickly as the LC did making it impossible to cross. We decided to camp by the Jardine river to make the crossing in the AM using the Jardine River Ferry. As we were setting up camp several thousand fruit bats started flushing and flying in a formation over the river to the evening hunting grounds.

We camped high on the bank and built a fire to keep the crocks away. Lizard cooked some chicken curry and we all settled in for some campfire chit chat and discussions about tomorrows trek to The Tip.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

We woke later than normal because the Jardene river ferry didn't run until 8:00 AM. We broke camp and to the ferry crossing. We left two of the Land Cruisers behind and took the MAXTRAX LC and the Jeep due to the expensive ferry crossing. It is a short 100 Meter crossing, but costs an unbelievable $88 Aussies for a return trip.

We drove the development road to the Aboriginal Community of Bamaga where were able to top off the fuel tanks and get some more lollies to snack on as we headed North until we run out of ground.

We reached the Northernmost point of the Australian continent on Cape York, or at least the car park. We hiked a short distance to the rocky beach. There is a directional marker with lines in the direction to locations in Australia and international cities and their distances. It was a short hike down to the sign marking The Tip. We stopped for group photos before hiking to the beach where Brad pulled the Jeep onto the beach for a few pictures and to take some of the kids of families that watched for a short ride on the packed sand.

We took a quick side trip to Sumerset Beach overlooking Albany Island where several early explorations of Australia landed including the ill-fated exploration of Kennedy in 1848. Kennedy was tasked with exploring the Cape York peninsula and was dropped off near Rockhampton Bay. It took him over the first 2 weeks to travel 20 Kilometers into the interior of The Cape. He made it almost to Sumerset Beach where he was killed by Aboriginals 20 Miles shy of the rendezvous point. Only the Aboriginal guide made it to ship the ship to show them where Kennedy's body lie.

We rode back to Bamaga and split up with one team visiting the bottle shop for some more beer, but were denied when alcohol was limited to one case/bottle per vehicle. and rushed back to the ferry that ceased operations at 5:00 PM.

We headed down the development road to a turn off for Vrilya Point. The trail was a single track through the eucalyptus forests with large red termite mounds towering over the trail. Some of the multiple water crossings were bridged by log bridges and narrow paths through others. We arrived at the beach just before sunset and put off the campsite and wood gathering to watch the fast moving tide come on over the tidal basin. There was a large tree growing throughout he rocks with what seemed no reason for it to be there. We took several pictures in varying stages of light and enjoyed the sunset over the Gulf of Caprentaria. We made camp in the dwindling light as we were eaten alive by mozzies and  flying insects.

Thursday, July 1, 2010

We woke up and packed camp at a leisurely pace. We drove up the beach to the rusted remains of an old lightship. It definitely didn't look the same of the pictures that must have been taken 20 years ago. The hulk rusting in the sand was surrounded by other rusting debris from the wreck among a field of seashells, large jellyfish and the occasional washed up trash from China.

[img]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs058.snc4/35255_1437069379214_1607375270_31074946_7341939_n. jpg]/img]

We back tracked the 30 kilometers on the Vrilya access track and made an morning return to Fruit Bat Falls for a bath to wash the trail off us and headed East down another small track to Captain Billy's landing. On this track we encountered a Black Tiger Snake, one of the deadliest snakes in the world. We arrived at a beautiful small beach to break for lunch.

We headed back down the access track and to the Development road. The corrugations were treacherous as the Jeep was shaking apart. The muffler was making a noise like there was a leak, so we pulled over to take a look. As we looked over the vehicle it was evident the Jeep would be unable to make it to Bramwell Junction with the gas we had, so Pete and I rushed off to fill the Jerry can and hopefully return to a fixed Jeep. We returned about an hour later covering the 56 Kilometers and back to find the Jeep repaired by removing the muffler. We all left together to pull into Bramwell Junction about sunset. We attached the trailer to the MAXTRAX LC and loaded up the Jeep to make up some time on the Development road at night.

We traveled at a nice speed, but was able to see all the nighttime life come alive. The bush glowed from the daytime back burn fires that still had the occasional tree burning in the middle of nowhere and a field of embers that stretched for almost 30 kilometers. Sometimes it was hard to determine what was the remains of the fires and the glowing eyes of all the Kangaroo, dingos, ferrel cats, and the creatures of the night that found refuge in the roadway.

Along the track we were stopped by a large King Brown snake, the deadliest snake in Australia, in the middle of the road. We all stopped to play with it (jk) and took several pics and continued on our way.

As we traveled further down the development road there was a vibration and wabble from the MAXTRAX LC's rear wheel. We stopped to examine and found that the wheel had popped off two of the 5 lug nuts. We backed off the road along the track into the riverbed of the Archer River. We pulled in as far as it took to get stuck in the soft sand and popped the RTT's where we were stuck. We all crashed with no camp fire, or any other camping comforts of any kind.

Friday, July 2, 2010

We woke early to a bogged LC towing a Jeep in a large trailer. We picked up camp and used 2 sets of MAXTRAX to pull the LC out to solid ground. we drove slowly to Coen where the only convenience store in the region actually stocked wheel studs. This should show you how remote this area is. We enjoyed some microwaved meat pies and watched James work on the LC once again. We were able to get rolling by noonish and headed south to return to the Musgrave Road House for 'The Lot' burgers and a Bundaberg Ginger Beer.

We arrived by mid day to a beautiful 1981 Land Cruiser FJ-45 Troopy P/K'd at the gas pump. I went to talk to the owner to find out that he was looking at selling the vehicle upon his return. When i returned I went through pictures of last years trip to the Simpson Desert and it finds out that I took a pic of this same vehicle 2,000 Kilometers away, almost a year later, halfway around the world from home. I hope that when he contacts me about this vehicle he will sell it. It's almost like fate or someone up above wants me to have this vehicle.

We headed west to drive through the Lakefield National Park. It is known for it's beautiful open fields and and large termite mounds, water lilly billabongs, and crocodile infested rivers. We stopped at the entrance to the park to take Wet Willie out again as we slowed down to take a look at the wildlife. We stopped for the night at one of the bush camping sites along a billabong.

Jaberoo

Black Cockatoo’s

Saturday, July 3, 2010

We woke early for the long day ahead of us to get to Cairns early enough to settle in and clean up before my flight, and get a good nights sleep. We started the morning by walking along the river to look for a large known salt water crock that lives in the river. As we walked to the inlet of a small creek I fell into a small patch of quick sand. There was no slow sinking, or even any notice. It was like stepping into a Meter deep hole. When I was stuck there was no freeing myself quickly. I could of gotten out slowly over about 10 minutes, but thats time exposed to crocks in the river. All the water flowed out of the hole displaced by my foot leaving a dense sand. I was unable to budge my foot let alone pull out my leg. It took three others to dig out my foot before I was able to pull it out. The rest of the group just stood there and laughed or took pics. I got free after several minutes and we continued to walk the shore. Will found some more quick sand and he walked over it several times to practice walking over it to avoid sinking. We talked to another camper who told us that the large crock was a little further down the river. We headed over there to find the crock in the water almost completely hidden.

Can you spot the crock?

Old Laura Homestead

We headed deeper into Lakefield National Forest and stopped at the Old Laura Homestead before levying the park and back into the Daintree National Park and the large peaks along the shore. We passed several of the cane fields on fire as the smoke rose into the low slung clouds that flowed over the lenticular clouds of the coastal range.

We stopped off at Mossman Gorge to go swimming to wash off the trail as this would be my last chance to wash off before the flight back. We traveled through the upsloping clouds along the coastal range and to the narrow gorge and public swimming area. There were steep banks on both sides of the gorge with rain forests and creeks flowing into it.

We headed into Port Douglass for dinner and the only opportunity for souvenir shopping on Cape York. Port Douglass is a nice upscale resort town along the great barrier reef that attracts the rich and famous. We had a nice grass fed steak and beer heading off towards Carnes to find a place to camp before I had to leave for an early flight to Brisbane.

We drove into town passing 'no camping' signs and every campground having no vacancy. I decided to head off to the airport that night and sleep in the airport. When I arrived at about 10:00 PM the airport was closed, so I unrolled my swag and camped in a remote part of the airport waiting for it to open. I woke up early and grabbed my flight to Brisbane, Brisbane to LAX, and LAX to New York.

Julie and Kennedy was there to meet me and we drove back home to Maryland.

-Ben

Check us out....
                      Our discussion forum....

Comment

Originally posted by lissted
                        Hi Ben
                        I didn't know it was you guys but we were both at Wepia Camp Ground at the same time!! I saw the Jeep and the Maxtrax Cruiser there. I was camped infront of reception on the beach, silver 150 with a set of Maxtrax strapped to the roof rack!! We also passed you guys a few times on the track. I won't spoil it, but I heard some fun was had by you guys on the first crossing, Palm Creek. Can't wait for the pics. If I knew it was you guys I would of come over a had a beer. Good to see you had fun.
                        Peter
                        Peter,

It would of been good to meet you.

At Palm Creek we just got the Jeep started and made it up fine. Lizard had all terrains, so he needed the aid of MAXTRAX to get him up it. We placed 2 sets at some of the deep muddy ruts and lost 2 of the 4 MAXTRAX. We camped nearby so we went back in the morning to find them. The cross g was so fun that we all did it again at a good speed without the MAXTRAX. We took video and I will post it when I can.

-Ben

Check us out....
                        Our discussion forum....

Comment

Great trip report!
                          [size=2][color=#00BF40][b]2003 120 GXL V6 auto[/b]. GME TX3440 and AE4703, Mickey Thompson ATZ 4 rib LT265/70R17 plus roadies, Ausguard cargo barrier, BD bash plate, OME lift with Sport shocks. And hopefully more to come, slowly slowly...[/color][/size]

Comment

Brilliant report, looks like the weather was kind to you. The weather in Cairns this winter has been nothing short of rubbish so far, higher then normal temperatures and non stop cloudy drizzly days.
                            Snowy

Comment

Awsome report mate.....Top stuff!!!

cheers joey 8)
                              Featured - issue 140 Australian 4wd Action.
                              -issue 52 Modified 4wds .
                              Locked ,Lifted, boosted Brut---"Pradzilla".
                              [IMG]http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff268/bigfryy/_0481154045-2.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

canli bahis siteleri bahis siteleri ecebet.net
                              mencisport.com
                              antalya escort
                              tsyd.org deneme bonusu veren siteler
                              deneme bonusu veren siteler
                              gaziantep escort
                              gaziantep escort
                              asyabahis maltcasino olabahis olabahis
                              erotik film izle Rus escort gaziantep rus escort
                              atasehir escort tuzla escort
                              sikis sex hatti